Grinding/growling !!??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brian Hansen

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi Guys.
I am the happy owner of a 2002 Tahoe LT, which at the moment is driving me crazy :(:(
When I turn right I get a grinding/growling sound, the lower the speed the louder the sound. When the engine pulls or brake´s it almost dissapears. Rear and front differentials are all new inside, and set up to specs, new front wheel bearings, new cv-axles. Anybody who has an idea, what´s wrong ???

Brian

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
could be a bad hub, or a bad front cv joint in the axle.

OP
OP
B

Brian Hansen

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
"could be a bad hub, or a bad front cv joint in the axle".
Normally I would agree with you, but both are new. I even bougt another set to be sure that the first ones weren´t faulty

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
"could be a bad hub, or a bad front cv joint in the axle".
Normally I would agree with you, but both are new. I even bougt another set to be sure that the first ones weren´t faulty
What brand of hubs did you go with?

I’ve had new parts, CV shafts and wheel bearings, fail right away so I wouldn’t just dismiss the idea, particularly if you went with an off-brand or auto parts store brand component.

At the end of the day, you need to get in there and start looking, feeling and listening to stuff as you move it by hand.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Brian Hansen

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hmmmm :( You could very well be right about the faulty parts. I´ve had the same thought, but dismissed it at first !! Another thing that could indicate faulty cv-axle is that when I engage 4-wheel drive high, then the sound almost dissapears or changes pitch. The parts seems okay, when I check them, but thats not a garantee. What brand of cv-axle would you recommend ??

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you can get all 4 wheels in the air, try running it like that. maybe you can hear and id the sound.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
How does the front diff fluid look?

And you have bearings in both ends of the diff where the stub axles go in.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could be several things, I would try to get it in on jack stands and start investigating closer
since you have already replaced the hubs and the sound goes away upon acceleration or brake pedal pressure I would suggest looking at the brakes pretty close, take the wheels off and see if maybe you have a stuck caliper or something. just going with what you are describing.
don't just throw money at more hubs or axles that may not be the problem at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442