Grille overlay - impact to engine from airflow reduction/redirect?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

navyseal334

Full Access Member
Reaction score
23 Suburban Duramax 3.0 here. Considering a snap-on grille overlay but am concerned about the potential reduction in airflow and the impact to the engine/vehicle.

Can anyone comment on their experience if they've used an overlay or comment whether the reduction (or redirection) in airflow could be substantial enough to impact fuel mileage/cooling ability? As I understand it, airflow is more crucial to a gas engine for fuel performance than a diesel; correct me if I misunderstand. But I imagine cooling would be still be a factor for diesel.

Would impact be tolerable in normal conditions but exacerbated under load (e.g. towing) or in high heat (currently residing in Mesa, AZ with 120 degree summers)?

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
23 Suburban Duramax 3.0 here. Considering a snap-on grille overlay but am concerned about the potential reduction in airflow and the impact to the engine/vehicle.

Can anyone comment on their experience if they've used an overlay or comment whether the reduction (or redirection) in airflow could be substantial enough to impact fuel mileage/cooling ability? As I understand it, airflow is more crucial to a gas engine for fuel performance than a diesel; correct me if I misunderstand. But I imagine cooling would be still be a factor for diesel.

Would impact be tolerable in normal conditions but exacerbated under load (e.g. towing) or in high heat (currently residing in Mesa, AZ with 120 degree summers)?

I’ve put billet grill overlays in every vehicle I’ve owned and never seen a difference in cooling temperatures or transmission temps
I wouldn’t worry about it

GoNoGo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Duramax "lower grill" is open from the factory specifically for additional airflow, whereas the gasoline model "lower grill" is blocked off from the factory.

I think it would be a BAD idea to restrict airflow through any of the grills on the Duramax equipped vehicles.. and I have one of each.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is really no substitute for removing the stock grille and having it professionally sprayed by a body shop if you want something that looks sharp and will last……

Vladimir2306

Full Access Member
Reaction score
An acquaintance of mine put a grid on the t1 tahoe, as a result, he has 10 degrees Celsius higher automatic transmission temperature in all modes than mine. I have 65 in the city, he has 75. I'm 70 in the heat, he has 80-85. I am against nets, they greatly disrupt the movement of the oncoming flow of the swelling

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
16yukon