Google Assistant/Android Auto help please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

genestoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am getting very frustrated with my new 2022 Yukon SLT with Google Assistant and Android auto as they don't seem to want to play well together. I am driving and I say "OK Google" or "Hey Google" and google assistant starts with the colored dots on the car screen then a beep and I say "navigate to" a physical address and it thinks a minute and it works just fine and displays google maps on the screen with directions. Then I will cancel the directions and say "OK Google" take me home and all I get is "You will need to set personal blah blah in your notifications and you can tap on the notifications blah blah" - Why does this not work when I do have my home stored in google (I think)? Other times I can say "Hey Google" wait for the beep and "take me home" and it works, so weird. Can anybody walk me thru the steps to set this up as maybe I am missing something or who do I call for help, GM (I hope not), Google or Android Auto? I have a Galaxy S20 phone with everything up to date with Android 12, Google, Google Assistant and Android Auto
Thanks for any help with this

Should also mention when I am not in the Yukon everything works perfectly on the Galaxy S20 if I say a physical address or take me home

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sounds like maybe you need to go into your phone settings and re-train google to your voice, samsung uses there own software overlay over stock android software so I couldn't direct you where to go exactly to do that but it's in there.
the "blah blah" you mentioned is telling you exactly what you need to do.

OP
OP
G

genestoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like maybe you need to go into your phone settings and re-train google to your voice, samsung uses there own software overlay over stock android software so I couldn't direct you where to go exactly to do that but it's in there.
the "blah blah" you mentioned is telling you exactly what you need to do.
Done all that already, google has no problem with my voice on the phone or in the Yukon. Can not figure out why everything works perfect on the phone itself but gets confused when Android Auto is active in the Yukon. Like I said it works perfect in the Yukon when I say a physical address ie 1234 My Lane, Phoenix, AZ, but if I tell it to "Take me Home" it will not do it in the Yukon but does on the phone when not in the Yukon?

I also see this on the Android Forum--
If you’ve been using the Android Auto app on your phone screen, you’ll need to switch to Google Assistant’s driving mode, a new integrated driving experience. If your car is compatible with Android Auto, you can still connect directly to your car’s display.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Done all that already, google has no problem with my voice on the phone or in the Yukon. Can not figure out why everything works perfect on the phone itself but gets confused when Android Auto is active in the Yukon. Like I said it works perfect in the Yukon when I say a physical address ie 1234 My Lane, Phoenix, AZ, but if I tell it to "Take me Home" it will not do it in the Yukon but does on the phone when not in the Yukon?

I also see this on the Android Forum--
If you’ve been using the Android Auto app on your phone screen, you’ll need to switch to Google Assistant’s driving mode, a new integrated driving experience. If your car is compatible with Android Auto, you can still connect directly to your car’s display.
hmm, I use a android auto head unit, but I pretty much exclusively use "waze" for navigation and do not have any issue's, this bypasses the need to use googles assisted driving mode, when giving a command such as home, I just say "navigate home". you might try Waze it will work on your phone and/or on the radio headunit just like google does, google owns waze, also waze has a lot of features that google does not incorporate into there navigation. I don't know why more people do not use waze it is heads above google maps for navigation. when you are connected to the headunit you can switch between waze or google at the press of a button and it will always default to whichever one you opened last when you connect to the headunit again.

PaulGA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you pull down the notifications bar to see if it has anything for you to do? when I got mine, the first couple of days I’d pull down the notification bar and it’d ask me to accept permissions, or enable a setting, etc.

PaulGA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the truck, pull down from the top of the screen and the notification pane will drop down

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ppv2018