Going to do Heads/ Cam. Looking for Cylinder Head CNC Shop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I've decided to do a new cam on my 2014 6.2 Denali. Mostly because I want to get rid of the DOD/AFM crap.

The cam I ordered is from Gwatney Performance. It's a VVT cam for 6.2 Trucks/Suv

LLT1 VVT​

Cam Specs:21x/22x .55x/.55x 113+8

Well, since I have to have the heads off anyway... I 'd like to find a place to upgrade my existing heads
or possibly go with a new CNC head - gm or trickflow maybe...
I need the head to be the same architecture as stock so my Edelbrock Supercharger will still fit correctly...

By my research, I should install Iconele Exhaust valves since I'm SC'd.. And I don't need crazy springs,,, just
a bit better than the gm "blue" springs.....

SO Does anyone have any advice for me on this ??? Any experience...
This is my TOW Vehicle, so that's why I'm using a baby camshaft.. I want to keep efficiency but have power
in reserve for towing AND just when I want to hit the Loud Pedal !!!!

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless you plan on considerably more boost, you might not need to mod the cylinder heads. Sure, hogging them out would allow more volume. But, there's a chance this would negatively affect the flow when not in boost, such as normal cruising. There might be some small shortcomings in the 823 heads as far as peak HP with boost, but you don't wanna hurt your cruising torque chasing it. You plan to pulley down that E-Force?

THarber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will need to be careful on the spring rates or the VVT is not going to work right. I'd personally eliminate it all and save the aggravation, your blower is going to more than compensate for anything the VVT would help with down low.

As for the heads, also no need to go that route for your application. You can get them freshened up with a nice valve job but CNC and porting really only helps in the upper RPM's. Once you change heads, cam, valves and springs then you really need to be knowledgeable about how to set up proper pushrod length too. Its not a slap in and go job.

Best of luck

Tim

OP
OP
F

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm waiting to even order pushrods until the end.... And I've been reading alot
on the LS3 cylinder heads...
There are a couple of places that just do a "performance rebuild".. So Hogging them
out is def off the table at this point..
Frankenstein performance in TX looks like they have good reviews, etc

On the springs, I def am going to stay with a high quality single beehive style...
I just need a "little better" than the GM blue spring to handle my lift
and don't want to negatively affect the VVT operation as well.

I appreciate the input... keep it coming !!!

OP
OP
F

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless you plan on considerably more boost, you might not need to mod the cylinder heads. Sure, hogging them out would allow more volume. But, there's a chance this would negatively affect the flow when not in boost, such as normal cruising. There might be some small shortcomings in the 823 heads as far as peak HP with boost, but you don't wanna hurt your cruising torque chasing it. You plan to pulley down that E-Force?
I do have a smaller (than supplied) pulley for the EForce Charger... I've actually been using it
just because I could never find the perfect length belt (the one supplied was way too short).
It changed the top boost # by about 1.5 psi

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
look at dedicated motorsports, they do a cnc head porting exchange. ie, they have cnc heads done on the shelf. you send yours, they inspect and send you back some already done

this is with frankenstein cnc porting, theres a stage 1 and 2, the stage 2 includes all new valves, double springs, retainers, assembly. not sure what the stage 1 includes

Last edited:

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm waiting to even order pushrods until the end.... And I've been reading alot
on the LS3 cylinder heads...
There are a couple of places that just do a "performance rebuild".. So Hogging them
out is def off the table at this point..
Frankenstein performance in TX looks like they have good reviews, etc

On the springs, I def am going to stay with a high quality single beehive style...
I just need a "little better" than the GM blue spring to handle my lift
and don't want to negatively affect the VVT operation as well.

I appreciate the input... keep it coming !!!
Brian Tooley makes a set of beehive springs that are designed to handle .560 lift. They are well-regarded and seem to hold up very well over time. They're the ones I used for my build.

jmil1974

Reaction score
Advanced Induction, Texas Speed, BTR, or Mamo Motorsports. I like Mast too but if I am going top dollar, it's Mamo all the way. Me personally, I would go AI or Texas Speed.

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got my heads from Wilkes performance. They offer complete heads or the cnc service on yours. I was very happy with mine. I bought a complete set vs sending mine in to save time. @Dantheman1540 sent a set to them and is happy as far as I know. It did take them FOREVER to get his back to him though

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got my heads from Wilkes performance. They offer complete heads or the cnc service on yours. I was very happy with mine. I bought a complete set vs sending mine in to save time. @Dantheman1540 sent a set to them and is happy as far as I know. It did take them FOREVER to get his back to him though
Yep the quality is fantastic and it made a noticeable improvement in power, especially in the higher rpm. Couldn’t be more pleased with the service other than the 2-4 weeks was more like months.