Going from 20's to 22's, more harsh?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
2015 Denali XL w/ mag ride

Came with 22's.
I switched to aftermarket 20's after about a year. The stock tires were horrible. I wanted something I can air down to go on the drive-on beach. I wanted a meaner look with the tires. I went with Yokohoma Geolander AT G015

The ride is very similar. Like other's say, hold your breathe and clench your ********** on big pot holes.

Previous vehicles were a 2003 Escalade EXT on 24s and 2007 Avalanche on 20s and the 24s. The ride wasn't all that different on the 24s. You really hold your breathe on the pot holes. The 24s eventually got out of round and crooked to the point that they couldn't be repaired after 5 or 6 years of late spring/summer/early fall use.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the roads in your area are good, you won’t notice a difference. The biggest thing is buying QUALITY tires and having them installed properly where they check the roadforce and make sure it isn’t high. If you want to buy Ling Long tires, stay with the 20’s. If you want to buy Michelin Defender LTX or it’s looking like the Continental TerrainContact H/T is possibly comparable (I haven’t owned these or driven a vehicle with them yet) you will likely be happy with the 22’s.

b85chevy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Our Yukon XL 4x4 has the ultimate package and came with the 22 inch wheel/tire package along with the Z95 MRC. To us, it has a harsh but surprisingly composed ride for a vehicle of this size. We use this vehicle to tow a travel trailer, camp, road-trip, etc. Over the last 51,000 miles we have bent (and replaced) two of the factory 22 inch wheels, one with the factory Brigestone's and one with Continental TerrainContact A/Ts (285/45-R22). We have been on the lookout for 20 inch take-off or aftermarket wheels that we liked so we didn't need to worry about bending the wheels, several weeks ago we found a set and wrapped them in the same TerrainContact A/Ts (275/55-R20). With the 20 inch wheels we find the ride to be a noticeable improvement, less sharpness to bumps and the feel of minor road imperfections is definitely reduced. The looks tip towards the 22 inch wheels, but for us the benefits outweigh that. Just wanted to share our experience since we are able to make a comparison with the same tires.

tire-wheel-compare.png

tire-wheel-compare2.png

Last edited:

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2015 Denali XL w/ mag ride

Came with 22's.
I switched to aftermarket 20's after about a year. The stock tires were horrible. I wanted something I can air down to go on the drive-on beach. I wanted a meaner look with the tires. I went with Yokohoma Geolander AT G015

The ride is very similar. Like other's say, hold your breathe and clench your ********** on big pot holes.

Previous vehicles were a 2003 Escalade EXT on 24s and 2007 Avalanche on 20s and the 24s. The ride wasn't all that different on the 24s. You really hold your breathe on the pot holes. The 24s eventually got out of round and crooked to the point that they couldn't be repaired after 5 or 6 years of late spring/summer/early fall use.

That's interesting to hear; Do you by chance remember what brand and/or wheels the 24's were? And maybe what size tire you were running on the 24's?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts