Going Crazy! Rattle front driver's side.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bgsntth

Reaction score
The B-pillar cover has come loose on my 2016 Suburban, and starts making a racket on the freeway - anywhere from 50 - 65mph depending on how windy it is at the time. I'm hoping to make it to the dealer before it flies away. The other pillar covers are loose as well, so I'm hoping they will replace all of them.

WJK1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had this issue last year on my '15 Tahoe. Everything you described is exactly what I went through. Spent weeks searching for it. Opened the door panel, pulled the underside of dash and checked everything in that vicinity of the truck. Issue happened on what seemed to be a smooth road. Couldn't hear it when turning. I did hear it occasionally when turning side to side. When parked, I rocked the truck side to side (stepping on the running board). I could hear it click clear as day. I went under the truck while someone did it and it was the body mount right under the driver side floor. I used a hose and held it right next to it and listened. I soaked it with WD-40. Hard to see the top of it so get some lube with a strong stream to get up there. I thought for sure it was something inside. Definitely surprised that it was the body mount. Try rocking the truck first and see if you can hear it. Hope this is it. I know how annoying it is.

TravisRyans

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had this issue last year on my '15 Tahoe. Everything you described is exactly what I went through. Spent weeks searching for it. Opened the door panel, pulled the underside of dash and checked everything in that vicinity of the truck. Issue happened on what seemed to be a smooth road. Couldn't hear it when turning. I did hear it occasionally when turning side to side. When parked, I rocked the truck side to side (stepping on the running board). I could hear it click clear as day. I went under the truck while someone did it and it was the body mount right under the driver side floor. I used a hose and held it right next to it and listened. I soaked it with WD-40. Hard to see the top of it so get some lube with a strong stream to get up there. I thought for sure it was something inside. Definitely surprised that it was the body mount. Try rocking the truck first and see if you can hear it. Hope this is it. I know how annoying it is.

Could you post a pic and possibly point out what you identified here. This sounds like it could be it.

Thank you!

WJK1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Could you post a pic and possibly point out what you identified here. This sounds like it could be it.

Thank you!

Yes once we thaw out a bit I’ll grab a photo under there. Im in Buffalo NY and just got our first snow storm. little messy to be crawling under at the moment.

PeteG

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So i had a terrible rattle. I took the door panel off and dynomatted everything i could see. I padded all the plastic clips. Still there. Repeated the teardown again noticed the harness was causing it. Wrapped it up with a microfiber to see. Sure enough. Silence. BUT this morning the rattle was back. So now I am not sure.

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So i had a terrible rattle. I took the door panel off and dynomatted everything i could see. I padded all the plastic clips. Still there. Repeated the teardown again noticed the harness was causing it. Wrapped it up with a microfiber to see. Sure enough. Silence. BUT this morning the rattle was back. So now I am not sure.

Silicon spray?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PeteG

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Silicon spray?

No i dont think that will help here. Mine has re-emerged now that the weather is cooler. It really seems to me to be the big wire harness connector just below the window switches. I am at my wit's end with it. Sitting in meetings just daydreaming about going home to rip the door panel off for the umptenth time.

PeteG

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If anyone is interested, I think i went a bit too far. I spoke to a structural engineer at my job and the jist of it is its a giant flimsy panel fixed at far few locations, and the bass excites this giant cavernous space between the perimeter clips and the armrest screws. Cant change material. Can only make it so much heavier with dynamat. So all I was left with was, well, stuffing a microfiber cloth in there to fill the space and provide positive pressure on things. 2 days, no rattle. And in SoCal this time of year, we have 60 at night and 80 during the day, so its seeing some extremes already.

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If anyone is interested, I think i went a bit too far. I spoke to a structural engineer at my job and the jist of it is its a giant flimsy panel fixed at far few locations, and the bass excites this giant cavernous space between the perimeter clips and the armrest screws. Cant change material. Can only make it so much heavier with dynamat. So all I was left with was, well, stuffing a microfiber cloth in there to fill the space and provide positive pressure on things. 2 days, no rattle. And in SoCal this time of year, we have 60 at night and 80 during the day, so its seeing some extremes already.

Ask him then why don’t $80k BMW doors rattle. I think it may have something to do with ridged forces of being on a truck frame. But who knows.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Willis12345