GMT900 front brake upgrade for my GMT821 ... what ELSE do I need?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless convinced otherwise, GMTK2xx or GMTT1xx front brake upgrades seem like diminishing returns vs GMT900.
Drove a 2012 Yukon XL for 5 years as a livery vehicle in NY / NJ / CT / PA, assertively if not quite enthusiastically.
Carefully chosen front brake pads kept me from investing in any brake upgrades on the lease that I turned in in 2018.

Without a more 9C1/Z56/PPV type suspension, GMT900 front brakes and well chosen pads should be enough for me.

I understand that I need
Rotor discs
Calipers
Pads
from a 2010 GMT900 vehicle to upgrade my front brake system.

Besides the above, is there anything ELSE needed to complete the upgrade?
Answer: 2010 Caliper Brackets

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Separate but related: can I upgrade the master cylinder, or anything along those lines?
I'm aware of braided stainless steel brake hoses.
I'll upgrade those if the GMT900 front brake kit and a better master cylinder (or something like that) isn't quite enough.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Separate but related: can I upgrade the master cylinder, or anything along those lines?
I'm aware of braided stainless steel brake hoses.
I'll upgrade those if the GMT900 front brake kit and a better master cylinder (or something like that) isn't quite enough.
I’d go ahead and do those stainless lines while you’re at it. $0.02

OP
OP
M

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Frankly more concerned with upgrading master cylinder / booster / proportioning valve / metering valve / stuff along those lines.
Mine are 21 years old, after all.

If I can afford it - tight budget, might source caliper brackets from junkyard? - I'll buy braided stainless lines.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Frankly more concerned with upgrading master cylinder / booster / proportioning valve / metering valve / stuff along those lines.
Mine are 21 years old, after all.

If I can afford it - tight budget, might source caliper brackets from junkyard? - I'll buy braided stainless lines.
Nothing wrong with junkyard calipers & brackets if they’re in decent shape. And I believe there’s a rebuild kit if they need it.

OP
OP
M

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No need for any upgraded master cylinder
In the sense that I do not NEED to upgrade the front brake kit from GMT800 to GMT900, I can easily agree.

However I was under the impression that there was an OE-type GMT800 or GMT900 master cylinder that was directly compatible with my goals.
Can't remember if it was from an Escalade, or a Z56 / 5W4?

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you've got Hydroboost, seals in that are known to go out. There's a rebuild kit or you can get a reman unit.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you've got Hydroboost, seals in that are known to go out. There's a rebuild kit or you can get a reman unit.
I don’t have hydroboost (unfortunately), and the conversion is a bit of a PITA, though not too bad. But after the GMT900 upgrade up front, stainless lines in all 5 locations, and the Powerstop Z36 on all four corners, it’s a dramatic improvement! If I had the hydroboost as well, that would be some serious braking force.
Anyway. As far as I’m concerned, the GMT900 upgrade, combined with stainless lines, and good rotors & pads is more than adequate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mimi66972