GMT900 Bose Premium Amp to Luxury Amp Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Reebok59

Reebok59

Reaction score
As you may already know, the UQS system is a 9 channel 5.1 surround sound system. Where the UQA is a 6 channel system. The 4th plug on the amp (J4) is for the surround sound channel inputs to the amp. The inputs come from the Radio and the RSA (rear seat audio) Module. You need to reference the Light Duty C/K Truck Electrical diagrams for more information.

Hope this helps,
Scott

The Raven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in the process of performing this upgrade - got the Lux amp and Y91 console harness. I believe I have a bad amp but I thought i'd toss this up in here just to see if anyone has any other insight. I'm only getting sound from the front left speakers. As for wiring, I cut the center wires just downstream of the big connector in the Y91 harness, as suggested, and just left C10-C12 blank because Nav is self-contained in my Pioneer NEX HU. I'm using the iDataLink Maestro which auto-detects input impedance on the amp, so there's no reprogramming needed (that's done through iDataLink's weblink interface - I just select the vehicle that my Lux amp and harness came from and it flashes the Maestro accordingly), and it seems that's working fine because the amp powers up and does play audio. It's just only in the front left speakers. So what do you guys think - bad amp? Or something else?

OP
OP
Reebok59

Reebok59

Reaction score
Sounds like a bad amp. When I was troubleshooting my bad amp I found using a test speaker with probes helpful. Test each output channel directly off the amp and if you confirm some working and some not, then it is a bad amp. Good luck.

The Raven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a bad amp. When I was troubleshooting my bad amp I found using a test speaker with probes helpful. Test each output channel directly off the amp and if you confirm some working and some not, then it is a bad amp. Good luck.

Did you end up with partial output from your bad amp? Or nothing at all?

The Raven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well that's re-assuring then. Perhaps it's something with the design of the amp that makes the rear channels die first.

The Raven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i'm still waiting for my replacement amp (due tomorrow) however I wanted to add a finding to this base of knowledge.

The seemingly widely held belief that the Luxury system doesn't vary preamp voltage but allows the amp to control volume internally is incorrect. It works exactly like the Premium amp, 5.1 amp, and pretty much every single other amp since the beginning of amps - by modulating preamp voltage.

While I was testing the preamps yesterday I noted that preamp voltage does indeed vary with volume change on the head unit. That means that when you turn up volume on the head unit, preamp voltage increases and as a result, amplified voltage does too - resulting in an increase in volume.

I was suspicious of this claim from the start since the only other way that the HU could prompt the amp to change volume was through the GMLAN, and theres only a low-speed (GMLS) link between the two devices. Trying to communicate volume changes over GMLS would be terribly laggy and buggy. Furthermore, iDataLink has only ONE firmware that covers all "external amplifier" systems on all Tahoes and Yukons, regardless of trim, from 2007-2010. That same firmware works on both Premium and Luxury systems. The only difference between the scenarios is the presence or absence of wires - premium has no GMLAN to the amp, so obviously it can't be used for volume control, but both systems have the same (front, at least) preamp links.

It does appear however that there is a significant difference in the preamp used in both amps. If the Luxury amp is indeed a major leap in quality then it's likely that it has a much more sensitive preamp. That would also explain why plugging a premium system HU into a lux amp could fry the amp.

The Raven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate when people post that they're about to do an upgrade and then never post how it went so this is just an update to close out my project:

I'm bailing on this upgrade. Despite three attempts I have been unable to source a working Lux amp. I ordered (a brand new) 15937318 the first time, and received a hubcap. So I started the return process and immediately ordered another (salvage) 15937318. That one was bad (only one channel functional). So I started the return process and ordered 20808897. I received the sub (at least they got close right?). I'm tired of having my truck apart waiting for parts to arrive, and i'm tired of working on the truck. That's all i've been doing all year. So I just put it all back together and said F-it. I'm probably just going to go the aftermarket route - collect all the parts over the winter and then tackle a complete system install in the spring.

So anyway thanks for all the info and assistance.

OP
OP
Reebok59

Reebok59

Reaction score
Adding a few files here for Indoe385 who is trying to identify wiring where someone cut his wiring harness.

Attachments

• Radio Front.pdf
    543 KB · Views: 16
  • Radio Rear.pdf
    365.7 KB · Views: 13

sabbath

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’m looking to buy a 2012-14 Tahoe. I’m seeing one listed with a Bose Centerpoint 10-speaker. Is this the Luxury Bose? What do I look for to know that I have the Lux or the better Bose setup?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep