GMT900 Bose Premium Amp to Luxury Amp Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reebok59

Reaction score
I just successfully upgraded my Bose Premium Amp to a Luxury Amp on my 2008 Suburban LTZ and wanted to share what I did. Yes, this upgrade can be done and it sounds so much better than the wimpy Premium Amp! First of all, many thanks to Ben for his GMT800 Upgrade thread “DYI Lux Nav Install” on the “Diesel Place” Forum and Joe for his GMT900 Upgrade thread “GMT900 Bose Premium Amp to Luxury Amp” on the “SilveradoSierra” Forum. It was primarily Joe’s work digging into the Electrical Wiring Diagrams and identifying the primary issues with the Premium to Luxury Amplifier Upgrade that allowed me to hit the ground running. You will want to read these threads if you are new to this. There is a long history with a lot of information that I will not duplicate here. Even though I performed this upgrade on a Suburban, just about everything documented here it is directly applicable to the Tahoe, Yukon, Silverado and Sierra (i.e., GMT900; 2007 to 2013 Light Duty C/K Full Size Utility Truck/SUV).

I was lucky enough to start with a 2008 Suburban LTZ with ROP Codes UQA (Premium 6Channel Bose), UBV (Radio w/Nav), U2K (Digital Audio System), UK6 (Rear Seat Audio) and U42 (Rear Seat DVD). I installed a Luxury Amplifier and Center Console Wiring Harness from a 2008 Yukon XL Denali with RPO Y91 that had the same Radio Part Number that I had in my LTZ. I got the VIN’s from the salvage yards and had the GM Dealership looked up the radio part numbers until got a match with my LTZ. I mainly did this so I could increase my chances for success. After many hour of studying electrical system drawings and performing the upgrade, I can’t imagine this upgrade (Amp swap only) working on any vehicle without RPO Codes UQA and UBV. May be able to do a complete Audio System (Radio and Amp) swap on a non-UQA/UBV vehicle, not really sure. There are just too many audio/electrical system differences and Bose compatibility issues. Not to mention every component communicates and is controlled across the GM Low Speed LAN (GMLS). For example, even though I got a match with the Radio and most everything seems to be working normal (i.e., steering wheel controls, NAV Voice Prompts, Chimes, Rear Park Assist, etc.), the amp will not mute the rear speakers when the Rear Seat Audio (RSA) is turned on. Not a big deal, but still trying to figure this one out, for some reason the Amp is not responding to the Radio telling it to mute across the GMLS. It may be something like the Body Control Module (BCM) needs a tweak, not sure. So here is the disclaimer; I am sharing my success and configuration in detail so you can understand fully what I was able to accomplish if you choose to apply any part of it. I will not be able to answer any questions or provide any advice for any other configuration (i.e., use of a non-NAV Radio, use of Amp in location other than the console, use of 5.1 (UQS) Amplifier, etc.). I will try to answer questions for clarification, but there is no way I can answer or support all the question this subject could generate. Good Luck!

I was able to confirm that the following Radios and Amplifiers are compatible (there may be others).
Radio P/N’s: 25846421 and 20862567
Y91 Amplifier P/N’s: 15937318 and 20808897

If you have read some of the other threads regarding this subject you have seen this statement; “the only difference in the LUX system and the PREM system is the Amp, that all the speakers are the same”. Well it turns out that the D-pillar speakers, if you have them, are different. Since they are wired parallel with the rear door speakers in the PREM system, they are 12.5 OHM and they have crossover capacitors. The LUX D-pillar speakers are on a separate channel and are 3.2 OHM to better match the impedance of the door speakers. Also, supposedly the three Amp connectors are the same for the PREM and LUX Amps. Well, one of the connectors is grooved different, not directly interchangeable, but could be modified to make it work.

Attached here are the Pin-out Tables for the Amplifiers and the 30-Pin Console Wiring Harness. As you will see, there are many differences in the PREM and LUX Amp Pins that would require re-pinning and adding new wires/pins for many connections (i.e., D-pillar speakers, center speaker, NAV Voice Prompt, VNC MIC, and GMLS) if you used your existing console wiring harness. And for the 30-Pin Console Wiring Harness, there are very few differences. Therefore, it is highly recommended to obtain and use a Y91 console wiring harness. Basically plug-n-play with the exception of adding NAV Voice Prompt shielded pair, re-routing rear speaker wires, changing out D-pillar speakers and reprogramming the Radio. I have included detailed comments and notes on the Pin-out Tables which should prove to be very useful if you choose to take on this upgrade.

PREM and LUX Amp Connections.pdf

Console Wiring Harness Connection 108.pdf

Attached here is picture of the NAV Voice Prompt shielded pair that I made using shielded sections and pins removed from my original non-Y91 Console Wiring Harness. The details are included in the Pin-out Tables above.

NAV Prompt Shielded Pair.JPG

Attached here is a picture of rear speaker wiring. The details are included in the Pin-out Tables above.

Rear Speaker Wire Routing.JPG

Attached here is a picture of the LUX Amp setting in place with the Y91 Console Wiring Harness, all unplugged and ready to go for Radio reprogramming.

LUX Amp & Harness.JPG

Hope you find this information accurate and useful. In addition to the information shared in this string, I would recommend downloading a copy of the 2007 C/K Full Size Utility Truck Electrical Manual for reference.

https://www.gmupfitter.com/publicat/2007_BB/2007_LD_FS_CK_Utility_Elec.pdf

Finally rocking with a kicking Sub,
Scott

Attachments

• PREM and LUX Amp Connections.pdf
    353.2 KB · Views: 257
  • Console Wiring Harness Connection 108.pdf
    371.8 KB · Views: 199
OP
OP
Reebok59

Reebok59

Reaction score
Here is some supplemental information. I was limited to five (5) files in the original post.

Here is a picture of the female connectors I removed from P108 to make the NAV Voice Prompt shielded pair.
Reused Pins.JPG

Here is a picture of the Body Connector at the passenger side kick panel where I cut the rear speaker wires so they could be re-routed under the seat to the console area.
Rear SPK Body Connector.JPG

Here is a picture of the VNC MIC location up inside the console.
VNC Microphone.jpg

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow nice job. Did you say you also added a sub? Did you use gm speakers for the d pillars or regular 4ohm speakera?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Reebok59

Reebok59

Reaction score
As stated, I started with RPO UQA (Premium 6-Channel Bose). All the Bose speakers for the Premium 6-channel system (including the Sub) are identical to the Luxury 9-channel system except the D-pillar speakers. So I had to change out the D-pillar speakers with the LUX Bose speakers from a Denali which are 3.2 OHM to better match the door speaker impedance as they are now on a separate channel. When you upgrade to the LUX Amp you get 9 separate channels including a Center speaker. So I also added the OEM Bose 3.35 OHM Center Dash speaker inside the Driver Side Console Kick Panel. With the LUX Amp, the stock Bose Sub comes alive. Huge difference! It won't rattle the windows or side panels but the rearview mirror will vibrate and you can feel it in your gut! The PREM Amp was so wimpy, I didn't know I even had a Sub until I did some research on it. I am very happy with the clear crisp sound and power the system now delivers.

UQA-Y91 = Premium Non-Luxury Speaker System (6-channel Bose)
UQA&Y91 = Premium Luxury Speaker System (9-channel Bose)

The difference is the LUX Amp and the D-pillar speakers (and of course a little wiring, a VNC MIC and reprograming of the Radio).

OP
OP
Reebok59

Reebok59

Reaction score
I have attached some links to other Forums for threads related to this topic for your reference and reading pleasure.

DIY Lux Radio/Amp Upgrade
http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/threads/diy-lux-radio-amp-upgrade.1019/

2007+ GMT-900 Bose Lux Amp Upgrade Info
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/76-speciality-forums/81-electrical/345703-2007-gmt-900-bose-lux-amp-upgrade-info.html#/topics/345703?page=1

All About The GMT-900 Audio Systems
http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?topic=65125.0;wap2

GMT900 Bose Premium Amp to Lux Amp
http://www.silveradosierra.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=14&t=583137

Enjoy,
Scott

OP
OP
Reebok59

Reebok59

Reaction score
I have attached a picture showing the difference in the Luxury Amp (UQA&Y91) and the Premium Amp (UQA-Y91). Actually there are two different LUX Amps depending on the RPO Code. They basically look the same except the UQA&Y91 Amp has 3 connections and the UQS Amp has 4 connections.

UQA-Y91 Premium Amp (small amp shown): 6 channel output and 4.0 input (RF, LF, RR and LR)
UQA&Y91 Luxury Amp (larger amp shown): 9 channel output and 2.0 input (RF and LF)
UQS Luxury Amp (not shown): 9 channel output with Surround and 5.1 input (RF, LF, RR, LR, CTR and Sub)

20170417_181525.jpg

OP
OP
Reebok59

Reebok59

Reaction score
Just wanted to add a quick update. My statement above "I can’t imagine this upgrade (Amp swap only) working on any vehicle without RPO Codes UQA and UBV" has been proven otherwise. Over on the SilveradoSierra Forum, Joe just completed the LUX Amp upgrade (Amp swap only) on a non-Nav Bose system with Radio UUI in a 2012 SLT. And based on that fact, it should work on non-Nav Bose systems with Radio UUN as well. Evidently both Radios can be reprogramed to the Y91 configuration to work with the LUX Amp. You can check out his success at the link below.

http://www.silveradosierra.com/mobile-electronics/gmt900-bose-premium-amp-to-luxury-amp-t583137.html

Ob1hybrid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice work. I already have the Y91 amp, and I'm in the process of swapping out all speakers and adding a more powerful amp but keeping everything 2ohms so I can use the factory wiring. I've been trying to find the male and female 16pin connectors so I could go from luxury amp to lc7i to new amp back to factory harness. Plug and play. Do you know the part #s for the two?

OP
OP
Reebok59

Reebok59

Reaction score
Sorry, but I do not know. When I was doing my research, I was having problems finding the male connectors and pins for the Bose connections so I could make a plug-n-play adapter. I was able to find the connectors and pins for most of the OEM Delphi connections but not the Bose stuff. May be a propitiatory thing with Bose. That is why using an OEM Y91 harness was needed for my project. However, you may be able to get an old Amp/wiring harness and salvage the connectors and make something work. You can also try searching Mouser.com for the parts you are looking for. You can get the connector part numbers from the Electrical Wiring diagrams and search for it on Mouser.com. If you get a hit, you can then drill down to "related parts" and find the Delphi pins/connectors that fit that connector part number. That is how I found the OEM Delphi connector and pins that I used for my speaker connections and purchased them from Mouser.

Good Luck!

Ob1hybrid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK cool. I spoke to someone at mouser earlier and they were not really of help. Anyhow for my B plan, I bought 4 sets of male female 8pin connection harness from ebay and plan to cut the speaker out wires 8" s or so after the amp and butt connect my own harness. My Plug and play alternative. I'll still look for it.