GMT900, Anyone overlanding/offroading these?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
All of the protection adds weight and if you're not rock crawling, its not needed.

When you go off on to the trails you have to prioritize somethings, weight and fuel range are near the top.

Tozan

Overlander
Reaction score
Why are skid plates and rock sliders low on your list? Are you high enough that you feel you won't hit anything? Do all Tahoes have some sort of protection as you mentioned?

I am running pretty high and things like oil pans and other real soft targets are impossible to get hit running over a rock. I try not to slide over things too. I am not rock crawling so most of that stuff is not likely to get hit. In time I may make a set of retractable step sliders but, for now I have other stuff to do... I am hoping to get at least 15 inches or more travel in the back.

Poolfontaine

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I have been over landing in the new Chevy Tahoe z71 and it is pretty impressive. Granted I’m an amateur but it lifts an extra 2”, has downhill assist, off-road mode, etc. but we looked at a lot of different Tahoe models and other than this model there were few we’d want to take in these conditions with the whole family.

5B8D3459-F5BB-4D9B-8077-0AF114AE837A.jpeg 9EC7F36C-D274-4B53-BAA4-5F09BD7AAB7E.jpeg

Arthur Richmond

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Not Tahoe driver but have a Burb for our trips off road. It’s not a mud rig but the wife wants to run M/Ts vs A/Ts so that’s that lol. It’s lifted 3.5” with 33x12.5. Rides great and handles good on road and gets the job done off-road. Plus we have a small camper we pull sometimes for any trips to bear country. We have been debating the roof tents as well to get off the ground and limit the camper use.

01F6BDD3-B16D-4A88-A0E2-9EE09BBC9B93.jpeg 1F51D084-714C-4EB7-8EF6-20A359E6BA23.jpeg

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
So I have been over landing in the new Chevy Tahoe z71 and it is pretty impressive. Granted I’m an amateur but it lifts an extra 2”, has downhill assist, off-road mode, etc. but we looked at a lot of different Tahoe models and other than this model there were few we’d want to take in these conditions with the whole family.

View attachment 271803 View attachment 271804

I am impressed that GM actually got rid of the air dam and gave this model a decent approach angle. It’s too bad the accounting team rather than engineering runs the show; they’ve had all the tech existing for years to make a Tahoe or Suburban variant that would kick Jeep’s ass. H2 and H3 had it all, they just cursed it with that ugly body.

bobsburban

Reaction score
View attachment 271871
So far as I know the air suspension can be replaced but, you might need to do a delete on it. Maybe some others know the details better and will add their comments.

I do not have skid plates or rock sliders but, I may add one or two in the future Most of the stuff like the motor is well protected but, there are a few things that are soft and could use some protection. But so far plates and sliders are pretty low on my list,

So. I'm one of the 'Burb guys, primarily because it's the first good one I found used last summer. We were looking for 4WD crew cabs, Tahoes, or Suburbans and this one showed up first and was in very good shape, though high mileage for a 2011. It's an LTZ with the factory HD towing package, so it had the blown out air suspension. My solution was some Moog 1250 lb rear springs and Bilstein 5100s all around. I'm pretty sure the 1250 lb springs are Z71 spec - they increased ride height about 2" right off the bat. I set the front springs on the second perch to level the front somewhat; haven't seen the need for leveling keys yet. I run a lot of NFS roads in east Tennessee, western North Carolina and north Georgia while chasing the mighty trout and other than washboards as mentioned by someone else, this suspension does a very nice job on those roads. The wife really likes the ride improvement on the street. Somebody somewhere makes a delete kit for the sensors for all that air system crap but I prefer to just ignore the three warning signals from the dash. Easier, cheaper.

My goals aren't heavy-duty full-time overlanding; rather the capability to get to trout as needed and tow a hard-side travel trailer into (somewhat) remote locations. So in addition to the rear springs and Bilsteins, I replaced the (known when I bought it) leaky stock radiator with a 3" thick dual-core Cold Case aluminum radiator and added the monster Tru-Cool 40k transmission cooler up front. I've also installed an ARB compressor so I can inflate tires as needed on both the truck and trailer. Added the Z71 Suburban skid plate. Running 32-ish inch General Grabber AT-Xs on some Z71 takeoff wheels I got off of some kid's 20" lifted Silverado. A roof rack of some sort is coming as I need some place to carry an extra 10 gallons of gas while pulling the trailer into some remote locations along with a Mechman 320 amp alternator when I replace the trailer's battery with a big-ass deep-cycle 12V AGM. Other than that, I need a good GPS unit as the onboard nav systems in these things disappear when you get 5 feet off of a paved road and a couple of good lights up on said roof rack but I'm in no hurry on extras like that. Oh, and I may get some more skid plates fabbed up as there's not much aftermarket support out there for the GMT900 platform. Sliders, too. The stock running boards are butt-ugly.

I think everything I've done can certainly be easily done on your Tahoe. Like I said, I'd be talking about a Tahoe right now if one had come up first. I still miss my '95, though this 'Burb is a worthy replacement. Keep us posted - I like hearing what other folks are doing on either vehicle as it all translates for the most part.

Last edited:

Tozan

Overlander
Reaction score

View attachment 271803 View attachment 271804

Looks like some very light off roading there any stock Tahoe could do that...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wilburMN