GMC Emblem Removal Instructions - Front / Rear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gomer Pyle

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just use your Library Card......I mean, who uses those anymore?..... :p

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
justinshort

justinshort

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If you are looking for instructions for removal of the stock badges this is the method I have used for years. Search for “Debadging” and you will find a thread titled as such with other methods as well.

Morning. I think I’m talking about RE-badging more than debadging. I want to replace the red
If you are looking for instructions for removal of the stock badges this is the method I have used for years. Search for “Debadging” and you will find a thread titled as such with other methods as well.

All I see relative to debadging.. is removing the non-GMC logo emblems off of the paint. I think I'm looking for RE-badging maybe? Just want to remove the red GMC emblems and replace them with black ones that I've ordered.

Disclaimer: FNG here

WTSHARK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Morning. I think I’m talking about RE-badging more than debadging. I want to replace the red

All I see relative to debadging.. is removing the non-GMC logo emblems off of the paint. I think I'm looking for RE-badging maybe? Just want to remove the red GMC emblems and replace them with black ones that I've ordered.

FWIW- I did this to my 2015 Yukon, but I didn't remove the old red, simply spent around 20 bucks on eBay for a sheet of "carbon fiber" adhesive vinyl. I cleaned the red, and stuck small squares of the vinyl over the red areas, using a sanded popsicle stick, and a "cuticle" device (thin round wooden scraper with a wedge on one end and a point on the other. I worked and pushed the vinyl into the corners (it was a warm day so it was pretty soft, it was thin and flexible to begin with, but the heat of the sun made very pliable), and once it was worked in, I used an X-acto knife and cut away the excess. I did this 2 years ago, and it still looks great, though time has faded the vinyl a small bit. The roll I bought was like 3' by 10' and I used maybe 2" x 5" of it, so I have plenty to do it again. I posted about it a while ago, but I'll add photos to it. I did some research when I wanted to black out my emblems and the removal of the red just seemed like it was a bit of a pain- but I do remember seeing a few Youtube videos on it. The other option is to spray the red with black Plasti-dip. I'd still like to black out the little bit of chrome on mine, just haven't gotten around to it.

GMC Logo bef aft.jpg

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It doesn't matter since you need to de-badge before you re-badge. Any body shop would completely remove the old sticker first before applying a new one. A little heat with a heat gun (be careful so you don't get it too hot and damage the paint) and a plastic scraper followed by a 3M Eraser Wheel to get the glue off and then buff with some Meguiar's Fine-Cut Cleaner would be the way I do it. Then you have a fresh clean slate to apply your new emblem.

chicagofan00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just last week I took off the Tahoe lettering and replaced it with another set in the redline style. All I used was my wife’s blow dryer, a piece of dental floss, a microfiber towel, and some isopropyl alcohol. Took the lettering and any adhesive residue off without any issues.

Dlayne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It doesn't matter since you need to de-badge before you re-badge. Any body shop would completely remove the old sticker first before applying a new one. A little heat with a heat gun (be careful so you don't get it too hot and damage the paint) and a plastic scraper followed by a 3M Eraser Wheel to get the glue off and then buff with some Meguiar's Fine-Cut Cleaner would be the way I do it. Then you have a fresh clean slate to apply your new emblem.

+1

Yep, need to debadge first unless you are getting a vinyl kit as mentioned (I do this with our BMW’s to cover the blue in the emblems). Use all of the same techniques as mentioned before for the GMC badges. For the big GMC in the middle of the lift gate, just some heat and then pried one corner off, more heat and pulled it off. This is what it should look like before adding the new emblem:

40B6803B-9518-4D99-B965-8C9F90227D50.jpeg

Front grill I used the paint method to black-out the red in the GMC.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the front nothing looks better than a black billet replacement emblem IMO. Here's the bowtie on my 08 CC. I don't have a good pic of the one on my Yukon but I tried the vinyl method and it just didn't look as good as the black billet. A little more money but I think it's worth it.IMG_8082.JPG

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the front nothing looks better than a black billet replacement emblem IMO. Here's the bowtie on my 08 CC. I don't have a good pic of the one on my Yukon but I tried the vinyl method and it just didn't look as good as the black billet. A little more money but I think it's worth it.View attachment 203145

Werd x1000

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne