GMC canyon security issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

b robinson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I know Canyons aren't covered here, but I'm taking a shot that maybe some of you might know about this issue. I have an 07 Canyon, and I'm about to sell it because of this stupid issue, can't take it much longer. Once in a while, always when it's inconvenient, I'll start the truck and won't be able to put it into gear as some security issue has it locked down. Usually always happens when the battery is low and the truck barely starts. I have the positive lead off the battery for a while, try different the other key, nothing is working today. I'm beyond pissed. Speaking of the battery, I have no idea how old it is, but I just had it tested, it tested good n fine. But if you leave it for a week, it's dead or near there. I had a stereo in there that I know was sucking it down, so I put a different one in. Nothing changed. Can anyone help with any of these issues?

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
If it were mine, I’d dig into the gear selector and find and remove the interlock that keeps it in Park until you press the brake and remove it. Most vehicles there’s a solenoid or motor conn to the shift linkage.

Parasitic drains, you’ll want to get a meter that will read milliamperes. Disconnect a battery cable and see what the rate of discharge is with everything off. Every vehicle is different but 20-50 ma is not uncommon. If you ask on a Canyon specific forum you may get a more accurate specification for that vehicle.

Assuming it’s a higher number, start pulling fuses until you find out what circuit it is. Once it’s narrowed down, hit up the web again or check that circuit over end to end and you’ll find it.

OP
OP
b robinson

b robinson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If it were mine, I’d dig into the gear selector and find and remove the interlock that keeps it in Park until you press the brake and remove it. Most vehicles there’s a solenoid or motor conn to the shift linkage.
The only problem with disconnecting the interlock is that I'm guessing it would still be in security status, meaning I wouldn't have the use of any gauges, maybe lights either, hell idk. It's annoying for sure. I thought I read somewhere that it was a glitch in these models, but I'm not sure about that. I just want it to work when needed, that's all. I'm taking all the stereo crap out and just putting the factory one back in too. Bout to throw my hands up on all of it.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only problem with disconnecting the interlock is that I'm guessing it would still be in security status, meaning I wouldn't have the use of any gauges, maybe lights either, hell idk. It's annoying for sure. I thought I read somewhere that it was a glitch in these models, but I'm not sure about that. I just want it to work when needed, that's all. I'm taking all the stereo crap out and just putting the factory one back in too. Bout to throw my hands up on all of it.

Nice avatar, from a former, flathead chasing legend from PA.

OP
OP
b robinson

b robinson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Haha thanks, I do love me some flatties. I do some guiding out here in Nebraska, and it's always a thrill when you hook up with one.

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check for loose cables and grounds, then replace the battery. Low voltage wreaks havoc on the electronics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9