GM Bulletin on aftermarket air intakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have seen bone stock 2017 and 2018 gm vehicles with not even a muffler delete, let alone an aftermarket intake or exhaust show a ten percent fuel trim and still run fine. I have also seen others that are bone stock with plus or minus 2 percent fuel trims.. you guys are hilarious that say because you did it, it is fact. You simply have zero idea how it works.. the reason why one vehicle can pull it off and the other can't is because of the vast tolerances. I get that gm offers a kit, if they want to install it, and do flash upgrades, then you are good to go!
Some times the truck is the one with ten percent fuel trims bone stock, and the air intake makes it 20 percent and destroyes the limits of factory calibrated correction, and sometimes you have a truck that the air intake pushes the limits to the limits of the stock calibration limits.

The moral of the story is if you want an air intake on a 2017 and up gm with warranty, buy a gm unit and have them install it. This world is seriously messed up these days with people thinking everyone owes them something. If you built vehicles for a living, why in the living heck would you want to warranty someone messing with you stuff? It's like robbing a bank because you think they have enough money and shouldn't care. I supercharge and turbo new gms all the time.. I do my best to get my guys warranty through the channels I have, but if if you are going to be a ***** about it, how about you just leave the truck the way you paid for it and not blame the people that built it for doing it wrong after you change the way they built it? Seems pretty simple.

Perhaps, but...

For them to blatantly deny warranty simply because of a mod is wrong. In fact, in my case, it wasn't even a mod per se. I bought my rig used and it had the windshield replaced. When I got it, the rainsense would not work. GM would not even look at, check out their end of things (I.e. Electronics, wiring, etc) because it was an aftermarket windshield. They looked for the GM logo on the windshield, didn't see it and said "you're on your own." There are stories of claims being denied on the drive train because of intake mods. Really? Supercharger, maybe, an air filter though?

Again, I refer back to the magnuson-moss act...

OP
OP
daves09

daves09

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Perhaps, but...

For them to blatantly deny warranty simply because of a mod is wrong. In fact, in my case, it wasn't even a mod per se. I bought my rig used and it had the windshield replaced. When I got it, the rainsense would not work. GM would not even look at, check out their end of things (I.e. Electronics, wiring, etc) because it was an aftermarket windshield. They looked for the GM logo on the windshield, didn't see it and said "you're on your own." There are stories of claims being denied on the drive train because of intake mods. Really? Supercharger, maybe, an air filter though?

Again, I refer back to the magnuson-moss act...[/QUOTE
Yes I bought mine and put the air intake on it. But I was told by the dealer, if it it was the GM intake they still could not look at it. So to think we are complaining about little things is wrong. The post I put on was to help others
I have seen bone stock 2017 and 2018 gm vehicles with not even a muffler delete, let alone an aftermarket intake or exhaust show a ten percent fuel trim and still run fine. I have also seen others that are bone stock with plus or minus 2 percent fuel trims.. you guys are hilarious that say because you did it, it is fact. You simply have zero idea how it works.. the reason why one vehicle can pull it off and the other can't is because of the vast tolerances. I get that gm offers a kit, if they want to install it, and do flash upgrades, then you are good to go!
Some times the truck is the one with ten percent fuel trims bone stock, and the air intake makes it 20 percent and destroyes the limits of factory calibrated correction, and sometimes you have a truck that the air intake pushes the limits to the limits of the stock calibration limits.

The moral of the story is if you want an air intake on a 2017 and up gm with warranty, buy a gm unit and have them install it. This world is seriously messed up these days with people thinking everyone owes them something. If you built vehicles for a living, why in the living heck would you want to warranty someone messing with you stuff? It's like robbing a bank because you think they have enough money and shouldn't care. I supercharge and turbo new gms all the time.. I do my best to get my guys warranty through the channels I have, but if if you are going to be a ***** about it, how about you just leave the truck the way you paid for it and not blame the people that built it for doing it wrong after you change the way they built it? Seems pretty simple.
If you read my earlier post, GM will not cover anything with even their intake system. Even if its put on at the dealer. It voids the factory warranty and the extended warranty.

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did and I just wanted to reiterate that it really is not a sign of good customer service.

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It really depends on what your dealer indicates your warranty needed issue is a result of. My dealer’s service manager has promised me my CAI (Volant) would not cause any issues. Also, my dealer provides lifetime power train warranty. No mikeage cap or time limit. They are in the business to keep customers happy, not cause heartaches.

OP
OP
daves09

daves09

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If you read my earlier post, GM will not cover anything with even their intake system. Even if its put on at the dealer. It voids the factory warranty and the extended warranty.
I posted this to inform people of the issues. Not
I did and I just wanted to reiterate that it really is not a sign of good customer service.
It just sucks, I like the sound with the exhaust, but it throws off the calibration
It really depends on what your dealer indicates your warranty needed issue is a result of. My dealer’s service manager has promised me my CAI (Volant) would not cause any issues. Also, my dealer provides lifetime power train warranty. No mikeage cap or time limit. They are in the business to keep customers happy, not cause heartaches.
Great dealer! Need one like that here

4OFFSHR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I bought my truck this was the first thing I modified, I have had the K&N one on my 2001, 2011, and now on my 2017. Not planning to do any exhaust, and being in California when you order these intakes there is a specific CA version, this was an option for my 2011 FIPK kit and for the 2017 truck as well. I tried to order the unit with the black tube instead of the chrome, but it would not let me even place the order as the chrome tube unit was specific for California buyers and it also includes the CARB sticker for smog inspection.
When I took the truck in for service to Penske, there was no mention by the service advisor for having it on my truck, and on the wall on display in their parts department was the unit they offer, so I find it hard to think that they would try to connect it to causing a mechanical issue, but again all circumstances are different and all dealerships are different. If I were to have a major mechanical breakdown, then I would probably switch it back to stock just to avoid any argument. When I had my 2011 Suburban, that unit had the black tube and also was California specific, I usually had it serviced at Simpson Chevy and the too never said anything about having it on there. I complained about tranny slipping to them during service when the truck had about 48k miles and they put me in a rental for 2 weeks and rebuilt the tranny, all covered under warranty.

ranger8996

Reaction score
My dealership just this week installled my K&N intake on my 2017 Tahoe...they were happy to do it and my dealership even offers custom tuning. My dealer does a lot of performance mods on the Camaros and corvettes they sell...they have no problem with aftermarket performance mods...I think it comes down to what each dealer is willing to do to make customers happy.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Put a K&N cold air intake on my 18 Tahoe a month ago and have zero issues. Except the power band in second and third gear is through the roof. Couldn't be happier. Have done same on one other Tahoe and one Yukon and have has zero issues since 2005. There must be something else going on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh