GM Bulletin on aftermarket air intakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JLBrooks

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have an CAI installed on my '11 Denali. Can this issue be causing problems on this older model? Tranny is already screwed, replacing next week, but just want to make sure this isn't also causing issues too.

OP
OP
daves09

daves09

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have an CAI installed on my '11 Denali. Can this issue be causing problems on this older model? Tranny is already screwed, replacing next week, but just want to make sure this isn't also causing issues too.
I had one on my 09 for over 3 years with no issues

humer101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know air intakes have many threads. But had to take my 17 Tahoe to the dealership because there was hesitation and shifting problems. They drove it all day. And came to the conclusion that it was something with the transmission. There was a bulletin out on the transmission. About flushing it out twice to get the computer to relearn the shift patterns. Upon further review when they popped my hood they found out I had an after-market air intake system. I bought one about 8 months ago from SLP performance. It had been acting up I would say since I put the new system in. But I thought it was just a computer trying to learn. It has gotten worse as a months have gone by. So their conclusion is GM has a bulletin out that says it will void your warranty if you have an oil based air filter or any type of cold air intake. They are not to look at your vehicle unless the original equipment is in the vehicle. So just a heads up to everyone out there with air intake systems might check with your dealer to find out if it will void your warranty. My dealer has the bulletin from GM and I have it in my Tahoe. And it states in there that it will void your warranty.
If you check online they offer the intake already I believe they trying to play you around .
My was installed by the dealer in a swap together with me Borla cat back muffler.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
daves09

daves09

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If you check online they offer the intake already I believe they trying to play you around .
My was installed by the dealer in a swap together with me Borla cat back muffler.

Oh I know. I asked GM customer service and the said the one year warranty on the air intake would cover any engine problems, but only a year and the factory warranty would not cover anything if related to the air intake. Even theirs and installed by a dealer. It would have to come from the factory with the air intake to have the 3 year warranty. Just a bunch of b.s.

humer101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh I know. I asked GM customer service and the said the one year warranty on the air intake would cover any engine problems, but only a year and the factory warranty would not cover anything if related to the air intake. Even theirs and installed by a dealer. It would have to come from the factory with the air intake to have the 3 year warranty. Just a bunch of b.s.
Understand.

hagar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have seen bone stock 2017 and 2018 gm vehicles with not even a muffler delete, let alone an aftermarket intake or exhaust show a ten percent fuel trim and still run fine. I have also seen others that are bone stock with plus or minus 2 percent fuel trims.. you guys are hilarious that say because you did it, it is fact. You simply have zero idea how it works.. the reason why one vehicle can pull it off and the other can't is because of the vast tolerances. I get that gm offers a kit, if they want to install it, and do flash upgrades, then you are good to go!
Some times the truck is the one with ten percent fuel trims bone stock, and the air intake makes it 20 percent and destroyes the limits of factory calibrated correction, and sometimes you have a truck that the air intake pushes the limits to the limits of the stock calibration limits.

The moral of the story is if you want an air intake on a 2017 and up gm with warranty, buy a gm unit and have them install it. This world is seriously messed up these days with people thinking everyone owes them something. If you built vehicles for a living, why in the living heck would you want to warranty someone messing with you stuff? It's like robbing a bank because you think they have enough money and shouldn't care. I supercharge and turbo new gms all the time.. I do my best to get my guys warranty through the channels I have, but if if you are going to be a ***** about it, how about you just leave the truck the way you paid for it and not blame the people that built it for doing it wrong after you change the way they built it? Seems pretty simple.

humer101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I notice must of the people here they lease their vehicle.
I strong believe because they do not own the vehicle they don't want to do any change or waste the money on a car they can even use that much because the miles limited and others things.
Nothing better when you press the gas pedal and that Borla muffler sound amazing.

hagar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"This stereo I bought from best buy is a ************* after hooked up a different amp! Omg!! I had no idea what I was doing when I hooked it up, but samsung is a ************* because of it!!"

hagar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"This stereo I bought from best buy is a piece of crap after hooked up a different amp! Omg!! I had no idea what I was doing when I hooked it up, but samsung is a piece of crap because of it!!"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kns0517