GM better come up with something better than their current engine lineups

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Plato442

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
GM will start turbo charging their engines as well. They dropped the new Vette engine after what, one or two short years…I’m sure they’ve tested turbs and will make the switch soon

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I recently explained to our ex-SIL who was buying a twin-turbo Ford F-150, a turbocharger requires owner-understanding that like a set of brakes, a turbo will eventually wear-out and fail. You can extend their life by using only top-rated synthetic oil like Amsoil's Signature series and changing it more frequently but turbo wear and tear occurs at time of shut-down when they are still spinning and very hot and all of sudden the oil-supply stops and oil "coking" occurs. Having owned a Y2K F-350 with the older 7.3 Powerstroke and putting over 500K on it over 12 years I acquired a lot of knowledge about care and feeding of one large turbo and very early in the first month of ownership installed an ISSPRO turbo-temp monitor thermocouple in the downpipe that prevented fuel shutoff until the thermocouple in the downpipe said it had cooled to less than 300 F. Manufacturers are now trying to convince turbo engine owners, that have enough understanding to inquire, that thermal convection will continue to move the coolant past the turbo to sufficiently cool it after engine shut off.....LMAO ! All this is ignoring the introduction of oil vapors from the PCV system into the multiple intercooler and pressurized intake hoses that can lead to blow-off of said hoses from their metal mounting surfaces. There's a definite reason Ford tech's ( one of my best and closest friends happens to have been one at a very large Dealer before he went to Mercedes) will opt, like Bill 1960 posted, for the V-8's on their personal vehicles.
true the turbo needs to cool-off first before being shut down (each time) which is inconvenient for a daily driver, if one had a alarm system installed like I have in my vehicles you could just press a button, take the key out, lock it and walk away and it will automatically shut off after 10 minutes.

hatzie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The ten year plan from our noble comrades of the revolution in the federal government is to be done with internal combustion by 2030. That's less than 10 years.
I'm not happy about this but there's less than zero we can do about it.
Why should they spend development dollars on new more efficient internal combustion engines when they're getting the gift of electric vehicles by government decree?

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
true the turbo needs to cool-off first before being shut down (each time) which is inconvenient for a daily driver, if one had a alarm system installed like I have in my vehicles you could just press a button, take the key out, lock it and walk away and it will automatically shut off after 10 minutes.
a lot of oems also water cool turbos, which they continue to circulate coolant (electric pumps) after shutting down

RET423

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remember when GM redesigned the sbc and came up with the LS, all of the reviewers laughed at the "obsolete pushrod design" that was so inferior to all of the overhead cam offerings from Ford and the foreign manufacturers.

Of course that LS engine and all of its iterations has proved to be the king of the road for everything from SUV's & pickups to some of the fastest performance cars ever built; with reliability to 300 k plus they are transplanted into everything imaginable today.

So now the claim is that tiny turbo motirs, hybrid or electric will somehow knock these workhorses out of favor as poor obsolete GM keeps offering those clunky pushrod engines.

GM has owned the workhorse V8 market since 1955 despite multiple predictions that their demise is imminent, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that to materialize.

avalonandl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remember when GM redesigned the sbc and came up with the LS, all of the reviewers laughed at the "obsolete pushrod design" that was so inferior to all of the overhead cam offerings from Ford and the foreign manufacturers.

Of course that LS engine and all of its iterations has proved to be the king of the road for everything from SUV's & pickups to some of the fastest performance cars ever built; with reliability to 300 k plus they are transplanted into everything imaginable today.

So now the claim is that tiny turbo motirs, hybrid or electric will somehow knock these workhorses out of favor as poor obsolete GM keeps offering those clunky pushrod engines.

GM has owned the workhorse V8 market since 1955 despite multiple predictions that their demise is imminent, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that to materialize.
The SBC came out in 55' as a 265/283 and in 97' the LS came out. Now the LT with its Direct Inject has basically taken the ICE about as far as it can in its NA form without putting $ 1000's into turbos etc.

Our Hammer and Sickle Greenies want us to collect cow farts and live off the land...oops thats not VEGAN....

OP
OP
Fireman591

Fireman591

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have nothing valuable to add to the conversation regarding engines. But Idc what engine they put in a Sequoia, it's still ugly as sin and a no for me.
Huh the 2023 has not even been released yet. How do you know it is ugly as sin? LOL :)

OP
OP
Fireman591

Fireman591

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I think we can all agree that GM no longer gives a rats ass about their V8s and the quality of these engines. If that was the case this design flaw that is bending push rods left and right on the 5.3 and 6.2 engines would have been solved a long time ago. GM's focus now is making the tree hugging lefties happy with EVs and putting all their eggs in one basket. Until GM does a voluntary recall on this lifter/push rod issue I'll take my money to other brands. just hoping my 2021 lemon Tahoe can hold together another year or so. I have never had a vehicle be in a dealership as much as this pos and I have owned more than 40+ vehicles. Pretty sad this day and age that their quality is heading south :(

avalonandl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am in full disagreement on your statement. I think the bad parts are due to poor QA and cost cutting. Not due to focus. GM needs these engines at the most profitable plants they have. That and 3$ will get u a coffee at some coffee shops. Not pikin a fight, just giving u my opinion.