Getting PPV serviced through Chevy

Discussion in 'Police Package/Specialty Service Discussion' started by ppvdude, Jan 26, 2019.

1. ppvdude

ppvdude TYF Newbie

Name:
    Ken
    Hi everyone,

I’m a civilian and recently just pursched a 2015 PPV and was wondering if there will be any issues getting my PPV serviced through the dealership.

I heard that Chevy will wipe out the ECM (computer) which contains the police program, resetting it to a civilian Tahoe setting and if this happens they will not reset it back if you aren’t a fleet buyer/agency/LEO. This means my Tahoe would essentially be a regular one.

Is this true?

Part of the reason I purchased a PPV was for the performance enhanced features.

2. Eod1

Eod1 If you see me running, I would try to keep up.

Name:
    Keith
    I have had no problems with Chevy.
    They have done oil changes, trans flush and fill, alignment, etc. Never touch the computer.

ppvdude likes this.
  3. swathdiver

swathdiver Full Access Member

Name:
    James
    Policemen are civilians too btw. First I've heard of the tune being messed with. I know a couple of guys have surely not had their tune modified as they have taken theirs up to the speed limiter just to test it out!

ppvdude likes this.
  4. Eod1

Eod1 If you see me running, I would try to keep up.

Name:
    Keith
    If a chevy dealer of a city is changing or tampering with a private individuals ppv it would have to be coming from a law enforcement establishment telling the owner of said dealership to purposely screw with it. That's what I believe might be happening.

Tonyrodz and ppvdude like this.
  5. ATX 14

ATX 14 Member

Name:
    Jeff
    I bought my 2016 PPV new from the dealer who sells them to active LE at fleet pricing. I just broke 13,000 miles on it and had the oil changed & tires rotated one time at a Chevy dealership. I'll ask them next time I get my vehicle serviced if it is policy to make changes to the PPV model if it's not being used in an LE fashion. I drive a 2012 Tahoe as my work/take home vehicle so I don't drive my other vehicles much. I have a Blackbear Tune on it now.

6. CrashTestDummy

CrashTestDummy Full Access Member

Name:
    Gene
    There are no 'performance' enhancements to a PPV or SSV tune that's any different from a civilian Tahoe. The only 'performance' enhancement could be the speed limiter, but that's set depending on the speed rating the tires had when the truck rolled off the assembly line. Usually, what you get is things turned off, like interior lights, auto-on lighting, and so forth.

There will be no issues with service. There shouldn't be, anyway. We've had our '10 PPV and '12 9C1 in to the local dealership for the recalls, and no one asks any odd questions.

ATX 14 and Miami-Dade like this.
  7. 2011SSVHOE

2011SSVHOE I'm an egual oportunity offender

Name:
    ROGER
    Most if not all dealer technicians are paid on flat rate, which means that if you go in for an oil change they aren't going to do anything else unless it is on the repair order, and knowing how cheap most of the dealers are they aren't going to pay their tech any time to reprogram your ecm, so I would keep your mouth shut because they don't know if you are LEO or not, unless you tell them. Just my 2 cents

Miami-Dade, ATX 14 and Tonyrodz like this.