Getting my 1996 Yukon back on the road

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is your fuel pressure? Spec is 60-66 psi.

Will it start with starting fluid?

Did you check for spark at all eight or just one? Aftermarket distributor caps can be flaky. Not sure what brand you have, but a Delco tends to be more reliable.

Compression test may be in order. Also checking that you have voltage to the injectors and that the VCM is grounding them while cranking.

003dd798905cb52e49672bc791c0bc63.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
C

Craig Daliessio

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So...after 40 plus years of working on cars, I learned I'm still not above a rookie mistake. I reset the distributor three times at TDC...all three times on EXHAUST stroke! Had my daughter bump the key while I held my finger in the spark plug hole. Made sure I was on compression stroke. Sure enough, distributor was 180 degrees out. Dropped it back in and the thing started so fast it was scary. Hasn't run in 2 1/2 years and sounded like it just rolled off the assembly line. A little fine tuning and I'll be back on the road.
Final analysis:
New fuel injection spider (AC Delco)
New Fel pro HD gasket set
new AC Delco water pump
New timing chain gears and gasket set
New AC compressor, evap coil, condensor coil, and lines
New cap rotor wires and plugs
New front brake rotors (slotted and drilled) new pads and lines
New rear drums, shoes, hardware and wheel cylinders
new shocks
new headlight assmeblies
new tail light assemblies
New inner and outer door handles on front

Thank God for Rock Auto! I spent about $1200 for everything

2door2wheel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HELP!
I got everything back together. By the time the FI was replaced, I also redid the AC system, brakes, shocks, headlights, tail light assemblies...
It's back together but it will not start. I have fuel, I have spark. But it won;t start. It backfires lightly from the tailpipe but it won't catch. No codes are showing. Any hints? I am certain the timing is correct. Can't figure it out
Make sure the truck has proper fuel pressure 45-60 psi I bought a new spider and the fuel pressure regulator was missing parts and it wouldn’t start although it had fuel. I just took the parts from my old one. If you got the parts from rockauto or a place like that it would be the first thing I looked at. Edit : saw you fixed it disregard my post

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kentf3