Get a catch can before any mods.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CHOO CHOO

BackPagePhil
Reaction score
I swear I never understand how some of you get such clear looking fluid. Mine looks like baby shit. Also seems like there is either water or something clear in it as well.

The last pics I posted of adding the shut off valve, was it sitting almost 10hrs. Not sure if mileage on the engine has anything to do with that.

tst1212

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That's a lot for only 50-60 miles. You should check into the other oil consumption measures, primarily the updated rocker cover. Also clean your intake manifold and do the GM upper engine cleaning procedure since you've obviously had a lot of oil going through it.

Actually it's not that bad. The picture is a little misleading, as I turned the cup and it spread out a little. It's probably at most 1/2 a teaspoon, also I checked the mileage and it was closer to 90. If I continue at this pace, at around 5000 miles I should have around 3 oz. (12 tsp / 1 oz)

All that said, I do plan to keep an eye on it to get a better idea of what's going on.

Also, in response to the baby shit comment, I use full synthetic and Wix filters if that makes any difference.

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I swear I never understand how some of you get such clear looking fluid. Mine looks like baby shit. Also seems like there is either water or something clear in it as well.

The last pics I posted of adding the shut off valve, was it sitting almost 10hrs. Not sure if mileage on the engine has anything to do with that.
I think you are getting minimal loss through the PVC which means you probably have the updated valve cover. Not having more than excess fuel and vapor in the can would be a good thing..or you only drive it on short trips and the engine isn't heating up much.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually it's not that bad. The picture is a little misleading, as I turned the cup and it spread out a little. It's probably at most 1/2 a teaspoon, also I checked the mileage and it was closer to 90. If I continue at this pace, at around 5000 miles I should have around 3 oz. (12 tsp / 1 oz)

All that said, I do plan to keep an eye on it to get a better idea of what's going on.

Also, in response to the baby shit comment, I use full synthetic and Wix filters if that makes any difference.

3 ounces at 5,000 miles is exactly what I get and that seems to be about half of what most others get. This is also with my driving that includes plenty of WOT and high RPM. You're on the right track keeping an eye on it, though. The more visibility you have of what's going on inside your motor to catch things before they cause damage, the better. I as well use full syn and good filters. Usually WIX but went with K&N this last time since they're a quality filter and I didn't wanna go to another store just to get a filter. The K&N was internally identical to the Mobil1, but $3 cheaper and had the convenient nut on the bottom and cool windshield reminder decal.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

High humidity in your parts? Is it worse during the colder months? It's probably a temperature thing causing more condensation inside your engine (cold outside, hot inside). Short trips lead to moisture buildup as well and the drive times need to be longer during the colder months to burn off the moisture.

Somewhat related to mileage is the wear of the engine allowing more blowby which leads to more gasses in the crankcase to be vented out (which is the system the catch can is filtering). How many miles are on your rig?

CHOO CHOO

BackPagePhil
Reaction score
I think you are getting minimal loss through the PVC which means you probably have the updated valve cover. Not having more than excess fuel and vapor in the can would be a good thing..or you only drive it on short trips and the engine isn't heating up much.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I never get alot in the can, but I only take short trips most of the time. 7miles to work and 7 back 4-5 times a week. Maybe the occasional 15 mile one way trip if we go out and about.

High humidity in your parts? Is it worse during the colder months? It's probably a temperature thing causing more condensation inside your engine (cold outside, hot inside). Short trips lead to moisture buildup as well and the drive times need to be longer during the colder months to burn off the moisture.

Somewhat related to mileage is the wear of the engine allowing more blowby which leads to more gasses in the crankcase to be vented out (which is the system the catch can is filtering). How many miles are on your rig?

High humidity up here in the Northeast. Summers are pretty nasty to most. I have 157k on the Tahoe.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never get alot in the can, but I only take short trips most of the time. 7miles to work and 7 back 4-5 times a week. Maybe the occasional 15 mile one way trip if we go out and about.

High humidity up here in the Northeast. Summers are pretty nasty to most. I have 157k on the Tahoe.

I'd say these factors are the cause for the excess moisture in your PCV vapors. It's very humid down here as well. But I live where any drive is gonna be at least 15-20 miles one way. Just be glad it's not coolant! 157K isn't much and if it was maintained, should not be cause for enough wear to create excessive blow-by. Mine has 195K and I see no cause for concern about what the crankcase is venting.

CHOO CHOO

BackPagePhil
Reaction score
I'd say these factors are the cause for the excess moisture in your PCV vapors. It's very humid down here as well. But I live where any drive is gonna be at least 15-20 miles one way. Just be glad it's not coolant! 157K isn't much and if it was maintained, should not be cause for enough wear to create excessive blow-by. Mine has 195K and I see no cause for concern about what the crankcase is venting.
I'm not terrible on it. I get on it when we get a good snow, I do accelerate a little fast but not to the floor fast. I'll just chalk it up to what you say. Thanks dood..,...

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not terrible on it. I get on it when we get a good snow, I do accelerate a little fast but not to the floor fast. I'll just chalk it up to what you say. Thanks dood..,...

More aggressive driving isn't really gonna make much of a difference with this. Well, unless you absolutely beat on it for most of every drive to get the engine and oil hotter, but then you're doing more damage to the motor than what that little bit of moisture ever will do. It's more of a time thing- you gotta run it long enough while hot to let the moisture steam out of the crankcase. So, unless you wanna start letting it idle for longer before and after your drives and taking the long way everywhere you go, you shouldn't worry about it.