Get a catch can before any mods.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do TSB 10-60-01-008M and you may not need a catch can. https://f01.justanswer.com/ebrock63...il+Consumption,+MIL+ON,+Engine+Runs+Rough.pdf

Great news, we did a 2000+ mile trip to Leadville, CO(highest US city-10,152') and back. Now I'm pleased with our Yukon. It used zero oil. It doesn't burn or leak any now. The catch can isn't necessary anymore, because it doesn't catch much of anything anymore. What it does catch smells more like gasoline and is watery like gasoline? Here is a pic of what came out of the catch can after 1200 miles.
View media item 27505

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^ If it's already installed, I'd keep it as an extra monitoring point. Sounds like your PCV system is now passing what they were originally designed to do- purge combustion blow-by vapors from the crankcase. Maybe the oily residue is from the collected gasoline vapors washing the oil from the hoses? Regardless, it's great news in your case.

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^ If it's already installed, I'd keep it as an extra monitoring point. Sounds like your PCV system is now passing what they were originally designed to do- purge combustion blow-by vapors from the crankcase.
Good point, I'll leave it on. It could tell me if there's a problem in the future.

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do TSB 10-60-01-008M and you may not need a catch can. https://f01.justanswer.com/ebrock63/cec66346-04c1-48e0-98a6-74c35af2c84e_2014+Engine+-+Oil+Consumption,+MIL+ON,+Engine+Runs+Rough.pdf

Great news, we did a 2000+ mile trip to Leadville, CO(highest US city-10,152') and back. Now I'm pleased with our Yukon. It used zero oil. It doesn't burn or leak any now. The catch can isn't necessary anymore, because it doesn't catch much of anything anymore. What it does catch smells more like gasoline and is watery like gasoline? Here is a pic of what came out of the catch can after 1200 miles.
View media item 27505

I ran a catch can in my old Challenger and found that there was minimal oil trapped in the can during road trips but much more during around-town driving. I deduced that steady highway driving was very different from stop-n-go driving relative to blow-by dynamics & output.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran a catch can in my old Challenger and found that there was minimal oil trapped in the can during road trips but much more during around-town driving. I deduced that steady highway driving was very different from stop-n-go driving relative to blow-by dynamics & output.

Yup. It's all about engine loads. The engine sees higher loads during all the in-town accelerations so there will be more blow-by.

bigrhino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drained my catch can today and had less than half an ounce in the cup. While tightening the drain plug, then starting the engine, a hissing noise came from the catch can. I loosened it and then tightening again, same noise. Right now I have put some Gorilla tape over the drain plug as a temporary solution. Is their a way to fix this. Not trying to be under the hood all day in this freezing weather. By the way I have a BlackBear tune.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Drained my catch can today and had less than half an ounce in the cup. While tightening the drain plug, then starting the engine, a hissing noise came from the catch can. I loosened it and then tightening again, same noise. Right now I have put some Gorilla tape over the drain plug as a temporary solution. Is their a way to fix this. Not trying to be under the hood all day in this freezing weather. By the way I have a BlackBear tune.

What kind of can? Some have NPT fittings for the hoses you could retape and reinstall. Some have tops/bottoms with o-rings that could not be seated or split.

93blkongreenpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All vehicles should have catch cans. It's that simple, really
Makes sense, but the average Joe never lift their own hood to check the vital fluids, nevertheless would they empty a catch can.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's reverse thread more than likely. My drain plug is lefty tight, righty hissy lol..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan