GeorgeB’s 2013 Suburban LTZ “Fin”

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
George B

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
So you're set for towing 8,000 pounds. If you want an All Weather, All Terrain tire that can slice through snow, KO2s baby!

Now, when I did my wheel and tire research, I noticed that tires for 18" wheels were noticeably more expensive. I am considering a 34" tall tire on 20 inch wheels and those tires are $100 more per tire compared to the stock size on 17 inch wheels.

Our trucks are near identical but yours has the auto-ride suspension and the electronic improvements like Trailer Sway Control, Hill Start Assist and Powertrain Grade Braking - Normal Mode and Cruise Grade Braking - Normal Mode and the improved navigation unit.

What kind of gas mileage do you get, city and highway?

If they made KO2s in 285/45-R22.... I am watching for the Wildpeak AT3w in that size later this year. otherwise I will go to a 20" wheel.

Gas mileage? It's too damn fun to drive to keep track! I have yet to drive further than 50 miles at a time since I bought it. I will report on mileage at some point.

OP
OP
George B

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Our trucks are near identical but yours has the auto-ride suspension and the electronic improvements like Trailer Sway Control, Hill Start Assist and Powertrain Grade Braking - Normal Mode and Cruise Grade Braking - Normal Mode and the improved navigation unit.

I don't even know what some of these are....

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If they made KO2s in 285/45-R22.... I am watching for the Wildpeak AT3w in that size later this year. otherwise I will go to a 20" wheel.

Gas mileage? It's too damn fun to drive to keep track! I have yet to drive further than 50 miles at a time since I bought it. I will report on mileage at some point.

A well designed and functioning AT tire needs a sidewall to do its work, 45 is pretty low, a 5 inch sidewall. I wouldn't like any lower than 7 inches for all-terrain work. Alright, when you get some time on her we'll compare notes. These things love ethanol, find you some and have fun!

I don't even know what some of these are....

Well get to readin' George! LOL

OP
OP
George B

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
A well designed and functioning AT tire needs a sidewall to do its work, 45 is pretty low, a 5 inch sidewall. I wouldn't like any lower than 7 inches for all-terrain work. Alright, when you get some time on her we'll compare notes. These things love ethanol, find you some and have fun!

Well get to readin' George! LOL
I don’t really do much off the road and I fully agree with the need for sidewall. Most of my traction needs would be in snow and some occasional light mud on a two track or in the woods while cutting firewood. That said 20” would probably work and keep the nice look of the truck.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t really do much off the road and I fully agree with the need for sidewall. Most of my traction needs would be in snow and some occasional light mud on a two track or in the woods while cutting firewood. That said 20” would probably work and keep the nice look of the truck.

I agree. I might put 275-65-20s on mine which is a 34" tall tire and does not rub with stock offset wheels, no trimming required according to many testimonials on here. I would probably re-gear to 3.73s to equal the 3.42s or go with 4.10s for a little more oompf and towing prowess.

Do any towing? The NHT pickups have 3.73 gears and can tow 10,300 pounds or so with the same transmission and transfer case. The 3/4-ton pikcup trucks with the 6.0 motor with 4.10 gears can pull 13,000 pounds. But they have the heavy duty version of our trans and transfer case and axles! The 2500 Wagons have 3.73 gears and the 4x4s can pull 9,400 pounds.

OP
OP
George B

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I agree. I might put 275-65-20s on mine which is a 34" tall tire and does not rub with stock offset wheels, no trimming required according to many testimonials on here. I would probably re-gear to 3.73s to equal the 3.42s or go with 4.10s for a little more oompf and towing prowess.

Do any towing? The NHT pickups have 3.73 gears and can tow 10,300 pounds or so with the same transmission and transfer case. The 3/4-ton pikcup trucks with the 6.0 motor with 4.10 gears can pull 13,000 pounds. But they have the heavy duty version of our trans and transfer case and axles! The 2500 Wagons have 3.73 gears and the 4x4s can pull 9,400 pounds.
I tow often but it is only either my 16.25’ boat and motor. All decked out at maybe 2000 lbs. possibly 2500 lbs when we venture north. Or my utility trailer at max 2500 lbs. If more it’s only for short local trips. I used to own an 03 Z71 Burb with a 5.3 and 3.73.1 gears with the 4L60. It did ok but I always wished for more gears to choose. I had gone down to 16” wheels on that one because I had some takeoff Duratracs to run. I think the stock 32” tire diameter will be good for me on this rig too.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tow often but it is only either my 16.25’ boat and motor. All decked out at maybe 2000 lbs. possibly 2500 lbs when we venture north. Or my utility trailer at max 2500 lbs. If more it’s only for short local trips. I used to own an 03 Z71 Burb with a 5.3 and 3.73.1 gears with the 4L60. It did ok but I always wished for more gears to choose. I had gone down to 16” wheels on that one because I had some takeoff Duratracs to run. I think the stock 32” tire diameter will be good for me on this rig too.

Stock is plenty good for those, just keep the fluids clean. A weeks worth of towing and my trans fluid (ACDelco Dex VI) was pretty close to wore out at 36K miles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tahoe1844