GeorgeB’s 2013 Suburban LTZ “Fin”

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a backlash spec. I am not sure without seeing it and or using this tool. I believe is called a dial indicator. i got mine for cheap on amazon.

0.006 to 0.010"

It has been a while since i mesured mine. I don"t recall if that's a measurement devided by two.

hope that makes since.3760f10a68694c68cbcda011196e5556.jpge04ae6b6031f3e0b5de425f715f20e02.jpg

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah then it needs rebuilt.

it is pretty easy to mostly take off, i got mine to the point where it was off... but i couldn't get it passed the steering bar :(

thankfully the differential was in spec so i rebuilt everything else without removing the case.

also i thought i would need a tranny jack... but once fluid was out diff was quite light. despite i never got case out.

OP
OP
George B

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I am curious if I could adjust the lash a bit with it in the truck or if one of the adjuster tabs will break off. I don’t know how “reusable” they are.

OP
OP
George B

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
yeah then it needs rebuilt.

it is pretty easy to mostly take off, i got mine to the point where it was off... but i couldn't get it passed the steering bar :(

thankfully the differential was in spec so i rebuilt everything else without removing the case.

also i thought i would need a tranny jack... but once fluid was out diff was quite light. despite i never got case out.

Did you document that in a thread?

Last edited:

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you need to adjust with new shims which requires removing from truck.

It is a big project though not hard to remove. i have never adjusted the ring gear... just watched on youtube, thankfully mine was in spec.

I am not sure how many miles you have. I'd do a reabuild and leave pinion and shims for last. you may get lucky and old shims fit new parts.

they sell rebuild kits for pretty cheap w/o new gears. gears are like 150$... the pinion is biggest part from what i researched. you need special tools to install crush sleeve (or lots of time to use spacers instead of crush sleeve).

If you leave pinion alone (say is fine) then it is a pretty easy and cheap job. just a fair amount of dissaseembly.

OP
OP
George B

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I was checking out the mode actuators for the hvac with my tech2 because of some question about how well the rear was functioning. They all calibrate ok with one DTC for the front recirculate. That one has a dead spot in the position sensor but still sweeps. The light for recirculate only flashes and I don’t hear it move but It’s cold out. Should it work?

One thing I noted was when I used the tech2 and commanded the rear temp door to hot it got cold and for cold it tot hot but it works properly with the controls. Is that a goof up with the tech2?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mldawson11