George B's 2000 Saturn SL2. “The Turtle”

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
George B

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Did a little test on the saturn. I can make the AC compressor run but it’s noisy. There is little to no charge in the system tho. Is this normal or do I need a compressor too?

OP
OP
George B

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I bought a '96 SL2 new and it was a great car. Watch the oil level until you know if it uses oil. That engine had a problem with the oil rings sticking and would consume oil. Some people had luck fixing the problem by doing a piston soak with Sea Foam or something similar. You should also watch for the "reverse slam" problem if you have the automatic transmission. There is a bolt in the transmission (I think it is in the valve body) that can work loose and cause the problem. There is plenty of information online about the problem.
I had a slam shifting to drive today. It was a cold start and back out the driveway about 50’. Shifted to drive and nothing…. Shifted back to neutral and then to drive again and bang! Drove and shifted fine for the rest of today. I have a filter for the trans. Going to give it fresh fluid soon.

OP
OP
George B

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I ended up putting both 12oz cans of refrigerant into the system which is what the sticker called for. The only challenge I had was that I should have relieved the high side hose across the gauge manifold to the low side before I disconnected. I lost some refrigerant there. Not sure how much and the ac blows cold. This is going to be a hot week so I guess I will see how well it works and go from there. Maybe I will have to add just a little more refrigerant.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Butterfly7