General Maintenance ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GBF1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If the engine and trans are good, I’d be looking at suspension components. Especially up front. These are heavy vehicles and are built like tanks, but those parts also take a beating. I’m at 215k now, and have replaced a good amount of the front end suspension components, tie rods, sway bar end links, UCAs, lower ball joints, pitman and idler. Front shocks replaced with Bilstein 5100’s. Also recently did the intermediate steering shaft, not because it “needed” it, but the little clunking noises had to go and it’s a cheap, easy job. Also upgraded both front and rear sway bars with very nice, and effective units from Hellwig. I’d look closely at the hubs as well but so far mine are good. When the time comes it’s going to be Timken 100%. Good luck. :thumbsup:
My rig has 175,000 miles and I've never replaced the front shocks. What are the signs that I should as I haven't noticed any difference in the ride. The rears are Arnott which I've been happy with. Only major repair so far was the torque converter. I have oil pressure issues. Have replaced the sensor a couple of times. Warning signal comes on occasionally and goes away once RPM`s pick up. Interestingly, when I park downhill the pressure is fine and the warning doesn't go off. Hope to keep this running a long time. Appreciate any suggestions and comments!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Your oil pressure problem sounds like the dreaded pickup tube o-ring problem. The park downhill/no problem has been mentioned on here several times. Typically it is recommended to add 1-2 quarts of extra oil when you do that and then of course drain the excess out. In your case, sounds like the extra oil was not needed.

treehan77

TYF Fiend
Reaction score
Perhaps your parking downhill is allowing oil to submerge your oil pick up oring? I wouldnt do shocks until you remedy the oil pressure situation, but 170k, yeah they are ready for a new set- front shocks are pretty cheap and easy.