Gen3 vs. Gen4 differences

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jesus, man...you type some walls of text. I simultaneously applaud and condemn you. At least you have the forethought to make paragraphs. So, forgive me if I missed something, but in reference to your comment above (ticking time bomb), is your engine already exhibiting signs or are you just going off precedence set by the AFM 5.3?

I find it's easier to spill all my thoughts in fewer posts rather than in bits and pieces as people ask things. I say my "A", "B" and "C" in one post. If I just say "A" then someone asks about "B" in a reply. Then I say my "B". Then they or someone else asks about "C"... I put a lot of thought and research into things before I bother making a new thread.

I do realize that many lose interest in anything over three sentences or without pics. Maybe those individuals aren't who I need replies from, anyway? It's just an online forum and most of us are only words on a screen to anyone else here- we can't be too serious.

To answer your question, I'll copy and paste an excerpt from my second novel in this thread, as a reply to James:

"...It runs like a champ and doesn't burn any oil. It just has a lifter tick for about 3 seconds after startup that I'm taking as my warning for an impending AFM lifter failure. Sure, it may not be an AFM lifter making the noise, but you know that chances are hugely favorable that it is. It did this when I first bought it then subsided until fully going away after my 2nd ad 3rd oil changes with full synthetic. Now it has returned."

BourbonNcigars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I find it's easier to spill all my thoughts in fewer posts rather than in bits and pieces as people ask things. I say my "A", "B" and "C" in one post. If I just say "A" then someone asks about "B" in a reply. Then I say my "B". Then they or someone else asks about "C"... I put a lot of thought and research into things before I bother making a new thread.

I do realize that many lose interest in anything over three sentences or without pics. Maybe those individuals aren't who I need replies from, anyway? It's just an online forum and most of us are only words on a screen to anyone else here- we can't be too serious.

To answer your question, I'll copy and paste an excerpt from my second novel in this thread, as a reply to James:

"...It runs like a champ and doesn't burn any oil. It just has a lifter tick for about 3 seconds after startup that I'm taking as my warning for an impending AFM lifter failure. Sure, it may not be an AFM lifter making the noise, but you know that chances are hugely favorable that it is. It did this when I first bought it then subsided until fully going away after my 2nd ad 3rd oil changes with full synthetic. Now it has returned."
I'm reading this and thinking, "my God, he's doing it again...he just can't help himself!" Totally agree with long thought out posts. ;) I like long walls of words. Dad was an Engrish teacher...

Seriously, though...that short amount of lifter tick noise has you worried? I'm honestly asking. Can't tell if mine is piston slap, lifter tick, kitten in the belt...it makes a noise like that when cold that goes away. Doesn't do it when it's above around 50 outside or 60 in the garage.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm reading this and thinking, "my God, he's doing it again...he just can't help himself!"

I was writing that and thinking, "He's gonna read this and be like "here he goes again" "

Dad was an Engrish teacher...

engrish.com- great site for teh lulz!

Seriously, though...that short amount of lifter tick noise has you worried? I'm honestly asking. Can't tell if mine is piston slap, lifter tick, kitten in the belt...it makes a noise like that when cold that goes away. Doesn't do it when it's above around 50 outside or 60 in the garage.

Knowing what I know of AFM, it does have me worried. Like I said, I'm taking it as a warning. Healthy lifters don't tick. This is definitely a single lifter and I have no reason to believe it's one of the non-AFM lifters. Without hearing it and going by what you said, yours has the characteristics of piston slap, which is really normal and not an issue.

BourbonNcigars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
going by what you said, yours has the characteristics of piston slap, which is really normal and not an issue.
As Chris smiles and rubs his hands together in super villain style..."now he won't do anything about it and his shit's gonna blow up!"

Honestly, I'm already paranoid enough for me and three other owners about engine issues.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I vote upgraded cam swap and update your tune and be happy.... at least until you find that steal of a deal on a 6.0L - 6.2L.

Shut up. Just shut up.

I can't hear you! LALALALALALALALA!

tenor.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Icyagent