Gear swap and your opinions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
I have been looking at gear swaps. Test drove a 3.08 vs 3.42 Tahoe and cant tell much difference. My burb has 3.08 gears. At 80+ on fwy it’s great. But accelerating from 50 to 70 you almost must hit the downshift. So I have thought about a full axle swap for $ factor should be cheaper. Maybe a z71 rear with 3.73 or just biting the bullet and throwing new gears in the current one. I know the swap in current axle will take more money and time yet there is nothing wrong w the axle in there now. So I ask. Those who have swapped what did you find the drivability to be like afterward and towing? Bang for the buck? Is the difference to 3.73 barely enough to be noticed and would you just throw money at some more Hp? The xl/burb platform is some extra weight for sure. But dang it drives good. And honestly can’t fully justify the extra 15k to upgrade to a Denali for the 6.2 right now since mine is paid off.

Just looking at your pic's again, That is a beautiful suburban and i would not get rid of it or change the factory gearing to gain more "feel" in regard to power, It is a huge vehicle, But an absolute road limo so kick back, Set the cruise, Crank the tunes, Throw in a movie and everyone enjoy the ride!

OP
OP
Bigkevschopshop

Bigkevschopshop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just looking at your pic's again, That is a beautiful suburban and i would not get rid of it or change the factory gearing to gain more "feel" in regard to power, It is a huge vehicle, But an absolute road limo so kick back, Set the cruise, Crank the tunes, Throw in a movie and everyone enjoy the ride!
Thanks man. Yeah she is a sexy b. It’s almost like upgrading isn’t important when it comes to buying something else even the 6.2 doesn’t drive much different. Every day she rolls the 75 mile commute. I think the bb tune will help probably more than I realize. She does soak up the road. Thanks for the help guys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylesimmons