Gear shift lever

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jasonrebellion

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So last night I drove my 05 z71 home with no issues. I get in today to go grab lunch, go to put it in gear, and the shift lever just moves freely without actually shifting. Truck is stuck in park and it’s like the lever is broken. Is this common and what’s the fix? Thanks!

OP
OP
J

Jasonrebellion

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Alright so I climbed under it and found the shift cable had come off the transmission. Is there a retaining clip for this piece? The cable went back on the metal stud but it doesn’t stick out far enough for a clip to attach as far as I can tell. Any part numbers would be great. Thanks!

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
So last night I drove my 05 z71 home with no issues. I get in today to go grab lunch, go to put it in gear, and the shift lever just moves freely without actually shifting. Truck is stuck in park and it’s like the lever is broken. Is this common and what’s the fix? Thanks!
The cable might've popped off or even broken. Not very common but it does happen. Look underneath at the shifter arm on the trans. If nothing, follow the cable, you might find your issue. I'm betting it's the shifter cable. I had the exact same issue in my 0t Express van. Turned out to be the cable, which is a dealer item only. Fyi--the cable in the van is 2 pieces, I've never checked, but it might be 2 pieces in the Tahoe too.

OP
OP
J

Jasonrebellion

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It popped off the lever, but it doesn’t seem to reattach very securely. I checked out a couple videos and none of them had a clip and it made an audible pop noise when reattached but not for me. It is 2pc but they sell them at autozone now too. Ac Delco

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is an aftermarket clip assembly as an alternative to shift cable replacement, about 1/2 price of cable. Some I know have drilled and cotter pinned cable end.
I replaced my cable.

bigdog9191999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i know i had the cable replaced in my avalanche because it was stretched and was about to have this issue also. from what i recall it was a single cable. also reminds me i need to pull that out before i scrap that truck.

Project Denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1629314286996.png
I haven't worked on a trans cable on these trucks yet so not sure about the part your referring to. Maybe sharing this diagram will help you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons