Gear ratio to hit 20 mpg or close HWY 01 Yukon XL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just looked back at this thread and saw the thing about getting more gas when it is cool.

Fuel, in most cases (except maybe airports and military bases), is stored in underground storage tanks and usually below frost lines in cold climates.
The temperature of fuel pumped would remain pretty constant, no matter the time of day or night and no matter how hot or cold it got.

In the US, fuel pumps selling to the public have to be measured and certified by the local/county Inspector of Weights and Measures for accuracy. If the pump meter shows 1 gallon, the inspector's test container has to be filled to 1 gallon.
This is not because they care about us, really. It is about making sure the local/state/federal gas taxes are charged accurately and pumps have not been messed with.

I don't believe the claim made by the "How Stuff Works" blog...
The certification container is 5 gallons and the fill must be within ml’s in order to pass and become/state operational.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want to get better mpg in the winter, you should duct air from behind the radiator. Cold air equals power, warm air equals mpg.
My work truck gets 2 mpg better above 40 degrees than it does below. And it isnt because I let it warm up before i take off, because i dont lol. Fire up and wait for oil pressure to come up and away i drive. I started ducting air from the fan shroud last year in the winter and got some mpg back.

OP
OP
LordWayback

LordWayback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just looked back at this thread and saw the thing about getting more gas when it is cool.

Fuel, in most cases (except maybe airports and military bases), is stored in underground storage tanks and usually below frost lines in cold climates.
The temperature of fuel pumped would remain pretty constant, no matter the time of day or night and no matter how hot or cold it got.

In the US, fuel pumps selling to the public have to be measured and certified by the local/county Inspector of Weights and Measures for accuracy. If the pump meter shows 1 gallon, the inspector's test container has to be filled to 1 gallon.
This is not because they care about us, really. It is about making sure the local/state/federal gas taxes are charged accurately and pumps have not been messed with.

I don't believe the claim made by the "How Stuff Works" blog...
That’s what I said you don’t get more for your dollar when you pump when it’s cold

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the temperature of your tank matter?
I highly doubt that it matters.
Richard Holdener did a dyno test of different fuel temperatures and saw no power or air fuel difference over the area of 35 to 90 degrees. So that means the fuel density did not change for an oxygen sensor to notice. So im guessing that gas tank temperature isnt going to have any affect on capacity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mimi66972