FYI: General Torque Specs Per Bolt Size

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For me it's a trust thing, along with common sense/experience. Was just working on a differential, and the pinion torque was listed in the factory manual at 390-425 ft/lbs. 25 mm shaft, fine thread 1.75, 8-9 threads total in nut about 5/16 inch,with nut using a pin type 4 slot socket same as a 4x4 old style hub nut. No way that shaft/nut could handle that, or the socket! Still havn't gotten an official reply back. I already know the answer. Piss poor design, no lock other than the flange on the nut to be staked after torque into a fine 26 spline. Guaranteed to come apart sooner or later. So they upped the torque. Should be a mandatory recall.I'll bet they sell alot of parts, two or three times. Pinion shaft is $1400. Also, since it is a pinion, what about the bearings preload? I think they just moved the decimal on the torque spec. Not enough threads on pinion to change to a better design.

But back to TRUST, some copy/paste GoogAppl app idiot like above manager thats trying to save his skin or an app designer that has people driving into lakes following his directions. Which do you trust? I'll stick to factory, they have warranty/recall. And guys like me bitchin.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wade-Just noticed when I was..... Didn't your boss or organization or Licensing affiliate (SAE for instance) Provide the tables for you? Licensing is a *****, opens you up for many liabilities. Surprised your school didn't cover that in depth.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
For me it's a trust thing, along with common sense/experience. Was just working on a differential, and the pinion torque was listed in the factory manual at 390-425 ft/lbs. 25 mm shaft, fine thread 1.75, 8-9 threads total in nut about 5/16 inch,with nut using a pin type 4 slot socket same as a 4x4 old style hub nut. No way that shaft/nut could handle that, or the socket! Still havn't gotten an official reply back. I already know the answer. Piss poor design, no lock other than the flange on the nut to be staked after torque into a fine 26 spline. Guaranteed to come apart sooner or later. So they upped the torque. Should be a mandatory recall.I'll bet they sell alot of parts, two or three times. Pinion shaft is $1400. Also, since it is a pinion, what about the bearings preload? I think they just moved the decimal on the torque spec. Not enough threads on pinion to change to a better design.

But back to TRUST, some copy/paste GoogAppl app idiot like above manager thats trying to save his skin or an app designer that has people driving into lakes following his directions. Which do you trust? I'll stick to factory, they have warranty/recall. And guys like me bitchin.
I completely agree that you should follow factory torque specs.

I use the app as a good guideline for torques. Critical applications get a lot more attention from me when I'm designing equipment, but the app gives a good starting point.

OP
OP
Jason in DLH

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
Yeah...that previous little table in the original post seems way off now that I’m looking into it more.

Example: Upper Strut Bolts are 17mm and are specified at 37Ft-lbs. The table shows that it should be greater than 140 Ft-lbs. The Haynes manual does say to follow the torque specs in the beginning of each chapter closely, but I have no idea why there would be so much discrepancy for the aforementioned example.

Thankfully I’ve never used the little chart as I’ve had specific torque specs.

I think perhaps I’ll ask a moderator to delete this entire post so as to not confuse anyone. Anyone know how about to request this?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094