Fuse repeatedly blows for rear wiper, washer, window latch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TexasFred

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The 25a fuse repeatedly blows for rear wiper, washer, window latch in my 2007 Tahoe. I can replace it and everthing will work fine for almost a day, but, eventually it blows.

I've tried the following 4 things several times and none of them blew the fuse at the time (the fuse blows several hours after I replace it and I don't think it's when I trigger one of these):

1) Use rear wiper
2) Use rear washer
3) Open rear window with button on gate
4) Open rear window remotely with key fob

Any ideas on the next step?

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, from what I'm reading it's most likely a short somewhere. If you can find the exact thing that causes it to blow then that'll narrow it down very quickly. There's most likely got to be something or some sequence of things that causes it to blow regularly.

---------- Post added at 02:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:10 PM ----------

also...i've moved this to the correct location for you :Handshake:

jblackwell

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sometimes if the car was ever involved in an accident, the wiring could be compromised inside the insulation that passes between the body and the door. Any prior damage?

GM Customer Service

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 25a fuse repeatedly blows for rear wiper, washer, window latch in my 2007 Tahoe. I can replace it and everthing will work fine for almost a day, but, eventually it blows.

I've tried the following 4 things several times and none of them blew the fuse at the time (the fuse blows several hours after I replace it and I don't think it's when I trigger one of these):

1) Use rear wiper
2) Use rear washer
3) Open rear window with button on gate
4) Open rear window remotely with key fob

Any ideas on the next step?

TexasFred,

Would you please PM me the last 8-digits of your VIN, so I can look into this for you?

Louis
GM Customer Service

OP
OP
T

TexasFred

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No Wrecks and VIN sent

To Louis at GM Customer Service: I emailed you the last 8 digits of my VIN. I don't know if that qulifies as the PM you asked for (still not familiar with the site).

To anyone: The vehicle has not been in an accident, so, the wires were'nt compromsied that way.

Blueseth

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have an 07 Tahoe with the exact same problem. Makes it very hard to troubleshoot. TexasFred what did you find out?

GM Customer Service

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 07 Tahoe with the exact same problem. Makes it very hard to troubleshoot. TexasFred what did you find out?

Blueseth,

This issue may be related to the B-pillar wiring harness becoming chaffed or damaged. This is just a suggestion, it is not meant as a diagnosis. For an official diagnosis, please consult with a certified technician to have the vehicle inspected.

Please keep us posted.

If you have further questions, or need assistance finding a technician in your area, please feel free to contact me privately.

Louis
GM Customer Service

Blueseth

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Found it

After removing the rear hatch cover panel I unplugged the wiper motor and the glass latch motor. I put a new fuse in. I found this was the easiest way to check things out as the fuse in my fluke meter would blow trying to check for the problem with it. The fuse continued to blow. I pulled the rubber boot out of the rear of the body (not the door) at the top of the door. I pulled the harness out to inspect it and low and behold I found a wire had rubbed the inner body panel. There was a bare wire touching the metal body. This was my problem.

If anyone wants I can post pictures. I taped the wire up and wrapped the harness with part of an old bicycle inner tube. Everything has worked great since then.

I hope this helps someone in the same dilemma as I was. This fix takes about 15 minutes. But to locate the problem area could take hours. I got extremely luck and found it right away.

Thank you and good luck.

OP
OP
T

TexasFred

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Blueseth, Got Pics?

Blueseth,

My apologies. I thought I would get an automatic notice that somebody posted on this site and I just now decide to check several months later and you asked me a question. I never pursued this further, so, I still have the problem. I want to try your solution.

Would you mind posting the pics if you still have them?

Blueseth

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I hope this helps. I did not peel the rubber and tape off to see what color wire it was that was worn. I believe it was red or red with a white stripe. It was obvious once I removed the boot going into the body and exposed the wiring.

Attachments

• 2013-07-23 07-24-09_Tahoe wiring problem.jpg
    2013-07-23 07-24-09_Tahoe wiring problem.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 80
  • 2013-07-23 07-23-35_Tahoe wiring problem.jpg
    2013-07-23 07-23-35_Tahoe wiring problem.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 83
  • 2013-07-23 07-23-00_Tahoe wiring problem.jpg
    2013-07-23 07-23-00_Tahoe wiring problem.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 81

Forum statistics

Threads