Full size spare swap when getting new set?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DrNick

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Coming up on 2nd tire replacement. 2013 LT z71 stock tires. The full size spare is still ok and used once to get from a cabin to tire repair shop ~10 miles. Vehicle has 117k. The last set we put on was a stock match Goodyear.

looking at Goodyear Wrangler Trailrunner AT but we have some time to research more.

These new ones we would get are different than what we currently have, is it recommended to get a 5th as full size spare? Or should we not worry about the spare matching.

the spare does show some rub wear in areas where it was pressed against underneath the vehicle likely vibration but has no signs of rot, rust, or cracking.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Coming up on 2nd tire replacement. 2013 LT z71 stock tires. The full size spare is still ok and used once to get from a cabin to tire repair shop ~10 miles. Vehicle has 117k. The last set we put on was a stock match Goodyear.

looking at Goodyear Wrangler Trailrunner AT but we have some time to research more.

These new ones we would get are different than what we currently have, is it recommended to get a 5th as full size spare? Or should we not worry about the spare matching.

the spare does show some rub wear in areas where it was pressed against underneath the vehicle likely vibration but has no signs of rot, rust, or cracking.
The biggest thing to worry about with the spare is overall circumference matching up, not tread pattern or rim diameter. I always try and get the spare on a non-drive axle so if there is any difference, the differential doesn’t take a beating. I know you have a Tahoe with switchable 4WD, but on an AWD Denali, that’s not an option so just minimize how far you go with the spare. The spare is a temporary fix to get you to where you can get a permanent fix.

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My recommendation would be to get a new spare based upon the age of the tire. I believe that Good Year has taken the position that tires are good for 6 years from manufacture date due to deterioration of the tire rubber.

Another consideration — is the tire the same size as the four on the ground. If not, you may want to consider getting a matching set. For the 2015-2020 generation, the trucks came with 17” wheels and a warning in the owners manual that you needed to operate the truck in 2WD if the spare was used. I ended up buying a matching full size tire and wheel for a spare and could do so since I have 18” wheels on my truck.

OP
OP
DrNick

DrNick

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My recommendation would be to get a new spare based upon the age of the tire. I believe that Good Year has taken the position that tires are good for 6 years from manufacture date due to deterioration of the tire rubber.

Another consideration — is the tire the same size as the four on the ground. If not, you may want to consider getting a matching set. For the 2015-2020 generation, the trucks came with 17” wheels and a warning in the owners manual that you needed to operate the truck in 2WD if the spare was used. I ended up buying a matching full size tire and wheel for a spare and could do so since I have 18” wheels on my truck.

That’s a good point. We can grab a 5th tire, as I plan to run at least the set out, and by then the spare might be way past dead.

Thinking back, when we had our rock puncture in the smokies I was worried how far that old spare would run. It’s good for a in town spare at the best now. But I’m so glad the Tahoe’s get the full size. Man I was in panic mode, up on our mountain cabin and only 1 spot close to flat.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Def be conscience of the date code. UV kills tires, the spare will def take longer to break down since it's not taking on uv rays--being that it's in the shade--but check out that date code.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staffie