Full Float Rear End?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOOOOOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVEEEEEE my tahoe though. my folks had burbs all the while when i grew up. they were cool but boatish lol they offer to give me their 96 years ago but i passed. i really should have took it. hellva truck although was the half ton.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a buddy that used to tow his Buick on an open trailer with his RWD and lowered Blazer across country and regularly to the drag strip and back which was for him about 125 miles each way back then. Never had a problem towing but he didn't drive much faster than 55 or 60 as that was the speed limit back then. Homestead, Florida to Bowling Green, Kentucky every year for the GS Nationals.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use my 05 Yukon Denali and my (2) 2003 Tahoe 5.3L to tow my 32ft Holiday Rambler Travel Trailer (AKA Camper). Its a aluma lite chassis and weighs 5400lbs. I use a weight distribution hitch and its the diference between night and day. I dont even know its back there as far as sway unless its tornado like weather outside. The camper has electric brakes and I use a Prodigy brake controller so the camper never pushes me anywhere. With that brake controller and a weight dist. hitch the only thing you should notice is your gas mileage going down!

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Regardless I want to save the suspension brakes from my old rear end case (I had a 10 bolt rear end blow up, long story). Any idea how I can get the brackets off, they are welded on. Trying hacksaw w/ metal blade but it's somewhat futile lol

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sglee14Hyl6E425wc7pIix5RJ6aCD3Tc/view?usp=sharing
I’d try a grinder. But that won’t be too pretty. Will work far better than any hacksaw though. A cutting torch / plasma cutter would be ideal.

Dan Acosta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont think you will find a bolt in full floater axle. I have 2500 Yukon XL and it is a completely different chassis than the 1500 version. The 2500 has a leaf spring rear end, so you would have to fabricate brackets to make it work in a coil over application. I have the 6.0 version and those come with the 9.5" 14 bolt semi-float 8 lug. The 8.1 versions come with the 10.5" full float. I am pretty sure all of the 14 bolt truck and van rear axles are leaf spring as well.

bigdog9191999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with dan. I have several of these in a couple of flavors and the 14 was never on the coil suspension. is there any reason you have to doubt the 10 bolt under it now? I have put many thousands of miles on my avalanche pulling cars/trailer combination and never had an issue with the rear ( related to pulling) , even the wifes 235K+ denali with 6.0 awd has pulled many trailer and camper ( I know all the owners since new) and that one is fine also.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to know. I have no doubt the burb and or 3/4+ ton longer wheel base would be better for pulling. I have pulled largest uhaul a few times with my truck on city streets not really experienced in this topic... but i may like to pull more substantial stuff a time or two per year.

my only fear is axle on semi float 10 bolt has a pretty bad failure mode (if breaks wheel comes off)

was my main concern and reason for wanting to update to 14 bolt full float. i picture pulling my corvette and wheel coming off back of truck lol

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

bigdog9191999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
unless your neglecting it I wouldn't expect any issue. I have pulled car trailer thousands of miles many many 6hr 300 mile round trips with as much or more weight than the vette will weigh. unless something is already stressed and about to break just doing routine stuff and looking things over on occasion and it will be fine. my dad has logged many more miles over the years on 10 bolts with little issue. and when there has been issue it is very rare that the wheel comes flying off ( I have seen more wheels break or broken studs cause one to fall off more than a catastrophic rear end failure. unless you don't pay any attention and are the type to not notice when something isn't right. ( but I would guess that if your racing the vette you would be the type to pay attention )

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC