Fuel tank misreading

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scotto0609

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A month or so ago replaced my pump and sending unit with new ac delco. Tank now seems to be reading about 50% off. When it’s full it’s just a little past full but empty is about half tank. Any ideas how to fix this short of dropping tank and putting another sending unit in? Fuel gauge was dead ***** accurate before. All grounds were cleaned before installation. Thanks

Guitarded

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 99 has the same issue. When it reads full, it's full. When it reads empty, it's actually still got half a tank left. I know because when I fill up, it only takes around 55L or so. Tank capacity is closer to 90L.

I know fixing it is a bigger job and I'll need to drop the tank, so I haven't been too concerned.

floater

Reaction score
I've been messing with my gauge cluster, on my 97 Tahoe four door, to try and get the gas tank gauge to read empty when empty. I ended up removing the plastic clear cover over the gauges and reinstalled the cluster. I drove around with extra gas in the truck till I ran out. Before filling the truck I popped off the fuel gauge needle and set it to just past empty. Now when I'm on the empty I know I have a few kms of driving left.

OP
OP
S

scotto0609

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks I use the truck so little that hasn’t really been a issue but might have to take a crack at it this way!

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks I use the truck so little that hasn’t really been a issue but might have to take a crack at it this way!

If it was fine before the pump module swap, then the problem is obviously the module. The arm could've been bent or the sensor is defective. Unfortunately, the only way to fix it is to drop the tank and adjust the arm or test and replace the sensor. Moving the needle on the tank to correct it at empty would make it so that you don't run out of gas, but it'd be inaccurate everywhere else.

Testing it is easy with a standard $10 digital volt/ohm meter. Yes, it's a lot of labor for such a simple repair. But it's still easier than running out of gas.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If it was fine before the pump module swap, then the problem is obviously the module. The arm could've been bent or the sensor is defective. Unfortunately, the only way to fix it is to drop the tank and adjust the arm or test and replace the sensor. Moving the needle on the tank to correct it at empty would make it so that you don't run out of gas, but it'd be inaccurate everywhere else.

Testing it is easy with a standard $10 digital volt/ohm meter. Yes, it's a lot of labor for such a simple repair. But it's still easier than running out of gas.
Or warranty it if you can. Got it at a local parts store that sells AC Delco? Rock Auto? Dealership?

OP
OP
S

scotto0609

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rock auto not worth my time right now. However I do have to all the brake lines soon and the back fuel lines so perhaps then. Thanks everyone

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
At Rock Auto, for a warranty item like this, you have the option of removing the defective pump and sending it in and waiting for the exchange (I know, not a great option if you don't have time for it to sit idle). Or you can buy another pump and replace yours, and send your defective one back in for the refund.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne