Fuel pump replacement time

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

Tamcphail89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That shouldn't matter as long as it's for the correct year and motor? Right?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That shouldn't matter as long as it's for the correct year and motor? Right?
It must matter or there would only be one part. Of course, if you’d rather order the one for a different model than yours and wait until your tank is out before finding out if it works or not go ahead. Not trying to sound like an ass but there is no reason to order the wrong part for your rig when it’s basically the same price. If a part is listed as application specific, there’s always a reason. No use taking chances.

OP
OP
T

Tamcphail89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so i'm gonna get the fuel pump, tank straps, and the lock ring. Is there a filter inside the tank that i should replace as well? Trying to make sure i get everything i need.

Thanks.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Ok so i'm gonna get the fuel pump, tank straps, and the lock ring. Is there a filter inside the tank that i should replace as well? Trying to make sure i get everything i need.

Thanks.

The filter is part of the pump assembly. The clip nuts for the straps are what broke on mine when I did it. I found them locally. Also I bought a package of dorman assorted fuel line clips for the quick connects. As someone else mentioned, they can get a little gnarly when you're trying to get them off. I also put a good coat of bedliner on the metal head of the pump to try and keep it from rusting.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
This is unconventional as hell, but for rust, see if you can find some roofing tar. The stuff is an absolute godsend for difficult areas that need to last for a long time without reapplication. It is a bit of a dirt magnet though, so think before you go nuts and do up your whole undercarriage :p

Just tape off your connectors before applying

Sasquatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New straps are a good thing to order when doing the job, I just replaced my fuel pump a few months ago and a month afterward i pulled out of work and heard a horrible noise from under my yukon. The rear strap broke while i was working and it was hitting the U joint. I climbed under and pulled it out. Luckily i made it home without a problem. After looking around at aftermarket straps i decided to go with OE GM straps.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Helped a buddy do his barn door GMC fuel pump. He used a local part house special. It was dead in a year. It was a Cali truck so straps were ok. Time consuming if it’s your 1st go at it and you deff want an empty tank.

Use the oe pump or you’ll be doing it 2x. Don’t use a pump that your trucks not spec’d for. The tanks ARE different by volume and especially height. You don’t want a fuel float designed for a higher/lower tank or one that can flop around because it’s too short to press on the bottom of the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts