Fuel Pump Problems Again

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

harbison

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1998 Tahoe 2 Dr 4WD 189K

Having problems with fuel pump again. Has been replaced multiple times. Fuel filter replaced as well. Fuel Pump relay replaced. Was getting hard to start so we replaced battery with more cold cranking amps and it helped. Started on first try. Now after a couple of months, hard time starting again. I hooked up battery charger and it started just fine. I can replace pump again (lifetime warranty) but that really doesn't solve the problem. Any ideas?

OP
OP
H

harbison

Full Access Member
Reaction score
KOEO pressure - 50, At idle - 50. When I hook up the battery charger (which takes the battery to 13.85), KOEO is 58.

Matahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, seems like your pump is ok. If the engine is hard to start with good fuel pressure then you've got some type of base timing, or sensor out of whack. If you had a ground issue at the pump you wouldn't be getting 50 psi.

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doesn't crank slow at all. Hardest to start after it's been sitting a while.

GM’s fuel pressure spec is 60-66 psi, so you’re on the low end. What does the pressure do when you turn off the ignition? It should hold fairly close for a while.

If you have a scanner, check the readout of the coolant temperature sensor. It should be reporting something close to ambient when cold and near the thermostat setpoint when warm. If it’s reporting some bizarre number that can cause the computer to botch fuel delivery and make for hard starts, particularly when warm or within a few minutes of it last running. A workaround is holding the pedal to the floor while cranking, this temporarily stops injector pulses (a.k.a. clear flood mode).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

liquify33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a similar issue in a different car from an aftermarket car alarm.
The starter interrupt the car stereo shop used was 16gauge wire with no heat shielding.
That wire eventually burned up and would only start when the engine was cold. Every summer the car ate a starter or battery.

You may have something similar based on symptoms IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu