Fuel pump issue (resolved)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Byoung1330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sups guys. I haven’t posted in a while. I put a new fuel pump in less than 2 years ago. Precision from o Reilly’s. The first one I put in was bad. Check valve. Had to prime it to start it. Went back got another. Now less than 2 years. Same thing. I believe. Check valve. Have to prime to start. The weird thing is I wired a kill switch to my fuel pump relay a couple weeks ago. U think this is a coincidence? Or just crappy brand pump? I got a brand new Delphi on the shelf I can throw in it. Got it as a back up. Could the kill switch have had some bad effect on pump?

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kill switch its Possible but unlikely to be the cause with your specific symptoms. Aftermarket fuel pumps generally are a no no. They dont last and are often junk right out of the box. I honestly dont know how they stay in business selling that crap. Who isnt going to return a bad fuel pump?

You should know that electrical switches are either rated for AC or DC current. Not both usually. The difference between them is the type of metal used to coat the electrical contacts. DC current wil burn the snot out of a switch rated for AC.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I was wondering why you didn't do a Genuine GM or AC Delco in the first place or at least, the second time around. A good backup is the Delphi though. You can likely do the swap in your sleep now.

OP
OP
Byoung1330

Byoung1330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kill switch its Possible but unlikely to be the cause with your specific symptoms. Aftermarket fuel pumps generally are a no no. They dont last and are often junk right out of the box. I honestly dont know how they stay in business selling that crap. Who isnt going to return a bad fuel pump?

You should know that electrical switches are either rated for AC or DC current. Not both usually. The difference between them is the type of metal used to coat the electrical contacts. DC current wil burn the snot out of a switch rated for AC.
Yes thanks for the reply. I figured my switch has nothing to do with it. Just gonna throw the Delphi pump in an see if it helps. Regulator checked out. I did find that my purge valve was bad. Won’t hold vacumn. But that’s not the cause. Already changed it out.

OP
OP
Byoung1330

Byoung1330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was wondering why you didn't do a Genuine GM or AC Delco in the first place or at least, the second time around. A good backup is the Delphi though. You can likely do the swap in your sleep now.
O yea. I can change it pretty fast lol. Only reason I did not was cuz it’s my daily an all I could get at the time was the precision pump. They had to order anything else

OP
OP
Byoung1330

Byoung1330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it hasn’t done it again since I replaced the purge valve. That’s really weird and didn’t think it would cause a long crank. So this would be some good info for some ppl to have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodlife_chevy