Fuel Pump Advice needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

m1949

LS364/450
Reaction score
Hey all, I need some advice regarding a replacement fuel pump for the 06 Esky build. My builder and I are having a slight disagreement in regard to replacing it. I want to put in a new pump as a precautionary move. My reasoning is a few years ago I had a FP fail during a cross country trip. It gave no warning, just stopped and left us stranded. Had to be towed and lost a full day of travel dealing with it. But my builder is for leaving the existing fuel pump alone until it fails. His reason is he has lost faith in the quality of GM OE fuel pumps because in the past couple years he's had two new ones fail within a year.

So, I'd like some advice. Should I replace the 15 y/o fuel pump or wait for it to fail? Incidentally, the fuel injectors I'm using are GM p/n 12609749 rated at
54 lb/hr @ 58 psi, which I believe is a higher pressure injector than what a stock 6.0L uses. If you favor replacing the old pump suggestions for a new one will be appreciated. Thanks!

OP
OP
m1949

m1949

LS364/450
Reaction score
I’d replace it with a new GM / Delphi.

And maybe by someone else if he’s had multiple failures.

I prefer to replace parts at home, it’s less painful than on a road trip.
Thanks for the advice; but I don't think the failures are due to faulty installation. This guy restores classics and builds restomods, most of which are GM models. In the past decade he's sold several of them through Mecum auctions. It's my understanding a few years back GM contracted to have some portion of their fuel pumps built in China, and since then quality has been spotty.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not sure what pump you'd be looking at, but FWIW both the GM Genuine MU1639 and the Delphi FG0808 are listed on Amazon as being manufactured in Mexico.

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just recently did a "pre-emptive" replacement of my fuel pump. 217k miles, and 5600 hours, figured I was on borrowed time. I was also planning two long road trips in December, and didn't want to get stranded, so I pulled the trigger. Went with OEM AC Delco pump.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518