Fuel Pump Access Door

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
To me just seems like a half assed way to do the job, but I guess to each their own. I wouldn't want an unneeded hole hiding under my carpet for something that can be done without doing that. I have however shaved my rear wiper and handle, which is custom work. I wouldn't call cutting a hole in the floor custom, Id call it lazy. And have fun making sure sparks aren't going all thru the interior when cutting.

latvius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To me just seems like a half assed way to do the job, but I guess to each their own. I wouldn't want an unneeded hole hiding under my carpet for something that can be done without doing that. I have however shaved my rear wiper and handle, which is custom work. I wouldn't call cutting a hole in the floor custom, Id call it lazy. And have fun making sure sparks aren't going all thru the interior when cutting.

I used electric shears so no sparks, right tool for the right job :favorites37:

latvius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On an interesting note, I have a 1995 Fullsize Bronco and on the www.fullsizebronco.com/forum it is considered a mod and something encouraged to do (no negative posts about it). On the Bronco you can buy a piece of sheet metal with the same bends as the floor so it is more seamless in appearance than is on the Tahoe.
Not saying anyone is right or wrong just that everybody has a preference.
For my Bronco I am glad I did it, I noticed when I filled up the tank full it is seeping somewhere up top. Once I have time it will be easy to spot with the access door off.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
This thread reminds of 82-92 F bodies. To do the fuel pump in that the rear needed to be dropped, just to get the tank out. Same arguement--some guys cut an access panel in the rear cargo area, and some guys dropped the rearend to drop the tank. Fortuneately I never had to change a pump, but I did buy a car that someone cut a panel in. It's your truck, to each their own. I never even knew about it until I ripped up the carpet. Couldn't even tell. No moisture or smell.

Reaction score
This thread reminds of 82-92 F bodies. To do the fuel pump in that the rear needed to be dropped, just to get the tank out. Same arguement--some guys cut an access panel in the rear cargo area, and some guys dropped the rearend to drop the tank. Fortuneately I never had to change a pump, but I did buy a car that someone cut a panel in. It's your truck, to each their own. I never even knew about it until I ripped up the carpet. Couldn't even tell. No moisture or smell.
For what its worth. Dropped my tank for a pump replacement a few years ago and was a surprisingly easy job. I watched a few guys on you tube of course to find out some dos and donts. I messed up the fuel gauge wires which is apparently a pretty popular mistake. The second time it came down the next day to fix that was a lot easier and was out and in in under 2 hours and all fine. Watch the vent lines on the back of the tank of the XL as the vids I saw didn't have these and I almost broke mine as they were strained to the max as I was lowering the tank before I noticed them!! I would never cut a hole in my Yukon unless there was absolutely no other choice. I would recommend to anyone to remove the tank as the first option. Definitely the lighter it is the easier!! If it is full, I watched one guy hit the bottom of the tank with his boot and the pump sprang to life and then he drove it till the tank was down to 1/4.

timl

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
There’s a right way and a half assed way. The time spent on making the fiberglass, making the cut & removing seat and carpet without messing anything else up is time that could have been spent doing it the right way and dropping the tank. I’ve done several of them and it’s really not a bad job even doing on the ground. Right way vs short cuts... right way wins every time.
yea
Dick

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Iowa, Tim.

There are a lot of knowledgeable and helpful folks around here that are willing to help and offer advice on sorts of topics. Do we all agree on the right way to do stuff? Nope! Do some topics, like cutting an access panel for a fuel pump, get debated? Yep! And do some some folks get passionate? Yep! In the end, we generally get along and truly try and help each other out the best we can by sharing our different perspectives and experiences.

That being said, coming in here and resurrecting a 3 month old thread to call someone names is probably not the best way to introduce yourself.

I look forward to seeing how we can help you and how you can share some of your knowledge and help others.

Happy New Year!

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Iowa, Tim.

There are a lot of knowledgeable and helpful folks around here that are willing to help and offer advice on sorts of topics. Do we all agree on the right way to do stuff? Nope! Do some topics, like cutting an access panel for a fuel pump, get debated? Yep! And do some some folks get passionate? Yep! In the end, we generally get along and truly try and help each other out the best we can by sharing our different perspectives and experiences.

That being said, coming in here and resurrecting a 3 month old thread to call someone names is probably not the best way to introduce yourself.

I look forward to seeing how we can help you and how you can share some of your knowledge and help others.

Happy New Year!
Word. I would go so far as to say anyone who comes into a forum and their very first post consists of exactly 2 words, one of which is calling a longtime member a dick, might indeed be the one who is being a dick. :eek:

ladorn45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used electric shears so no sparks, right tool for the right job :favorites37:
I was just pondering using the shears and wondered how that would work. Like the idea of having control over the depth of the cut. What shears did you end up using if you don't mind me asking.

jeffsyukon

Reaction score
I have changed 2 fuel pumps by dropping the tank and it's not a bad job. However, I am not opposed to creative alternatives. If you decide to cut through your floor pan consider using a drill bit at the corners (.25 dia) to create a gentle radius. Sharp corners lead to cracks. Just my 2 cents.

PS I am an engineer and I design repairs similar to this for airplanes. Not claiming to be an expert just saying.b458f017b94652c58a524688cc3dd4be.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442