Fuel gauge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaper904

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been asked or is in here somewhere but I didnt see it looking through the list of posts. My fuel gauge randomly works. I have no idea how much fuel I actually have lol. Is this a common issue and is there an alternate fix, like some device that I can plug in or something that tracks? I'm sure that would be to simple and easy. Thanks in advance! Oh yeah, it's a 2000 xl with 5.3

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been asked or is in here somewhere but I didnt see it looking through the list of posts. My fuel gauge randomly works. I have no idea how much fuel I actually have lol. Is this a common issue and is there an alternate fix, like some device that I can plug in or something that tracks? I'm sure that would be to simple and easy. Thanks in advance! Oh yeah, it's a 2000 xl with 5.3

Yes, this is common. The simplest thing to do is watch the trip odometer. Lol

The problem is one of (or both, I guess) two things.

1. The sender, which is part of the pump assembly in the tank.

2. The stepper motor in the gauge. There is a new design on these as they became a known problem.

DougAMiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He said it is a 2000 though. This did not use the X25 stepper motors that were so problematic. The 2000 instruments used these

s-l1600.jpg

Still, it could be the gauge motor or the sending unit as you say. I don't believe that there was an updated design for these as there was for the X25. I don't even know if you can buy these new any more, but there are certainly used ones on ebay.

I'm not very familiar with the 1999-2002 clusters, so I don't know if they get the fuel gauge data from the Class 2 bus or not, but I suspect not as it was not used nearly as broadly in the vehicle prior to 2003. So, the fuel signal probably is not readable with a scanner from the OBD connector like it is on 2003 and newer. That means you will probably have to use a DMM to measure the signal coming into the cluster to determine whether it is the sending unit or the gauge.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
He said it is a 2000 though. This did not use the X25 stepper motors that were so problematic. The 2000 instruments used these

s-l1600.jpg

Still, it could be the gauge motor or the sending unit as you say. I don't believe that there was an updated design for these as there was for the X25. I don't even know if you can buy these new any more, but there are certainly used ones on ebay.

I'm not very familiar with the 1999-2002 clusters, so I don't know if they get the fuel gauge data from the Class 2 bus or not, but I suspect not as it was not used nearly as broadly in the vehicle prior to 2003. So, the fuel signal probably is not readable with a scanner from the OBD connector like it is on 2003 and newer. That means you will probably have to use a DMM to measure the signal coming into the cluster to determine whether it is the sending unit or the gauge.

Are you sure? The 99 is only the same as the 2000 Z71 and limited. All other 2000s nbs trucks. I know the cluster for 2000-2002,2003-2005, 2006 are three different layouts, but I thought they have the same steppers.

OP
OP
R

Reaper904

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes, this is common. The simplest thing to do is watch the trip odometer. Lol

The problem is one of (or both, I guess) two things.

1. The sender, which is part of the pump assembly in the tank.

2. The stepper motor in the gauge. There is a new design on these as they became a known problem.

Ahh...ok. I'll just have to do math! Lol. They need to make something that plugs in and tracks.

DougAMiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you sure? The 99 is only the same as the 2000 Z71 and limited. All other 2000s nbs trucks. I know the cluster for 2000-2002,2003-2005, 2006 are three different layouts, but I thought they have the same steppers.
Yep, take a look at this youtube video

He doesn't show you the motors, but you can see the internals are totally different compared to the 2003-2006.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tttterrrr