Fuel Filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eagledew24

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2015 Tahoe LTZ

I'm trying to find the fuel filter to keep up with the maintenance of my vehicle. Everything that I have found says to change it every 12,000 miles and I can't seem to find it and also find the replacement part because I don't know what it looks like. I would greatly appreciate any help anyone can give.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

There is no external fuel filter. It is contained in the fuel pump. Where are you finding to change every 12k miles?

OP
OP
E

Eagledew24

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

There is no external fuel filter. It is contained in the fuel pump. Where are you finding to change every 12k miles?
I have a vehicle maintenance software on my computer and also an account with CarFax to help with any reminders when to do maintenance on my vehicle. They both show recommended 12,000 miles, if that's not correct or unheard of then please let me know and then I can adjust what they have recommended to what it should be.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a lifetime filter built into the pump as @OR VietVet said. The only time it's replaced is if you change the fuel pump. Unless you are filling up at grungy old gas stations, you should be good to go.

Also to note is that I try to avoid filling up if I see a tanker at the station - it stirs up the tank and moves any sediment around. They are supposed to have filters before the pump, but it's just something I try to avoid.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Follow the owner's manual and not the generic info software. That software info sounds way outdated. I would bet the manual would say replace fuel filter, if it had an external filter, every 30k miles. Does that software say to do an oil change every 3 months or 3k miles?

OP
OP
E

Eagledew24

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Follow the owner's manual and not the generic info software. That software info sounds way outdated. I would bet the manual would say replace fuel filter, if it had an external filter, every 30k miles. Does that software say to do an oil change every 3 months or 3k miles?
I actually just updated it recently but I will check the manual and change what it is telling me to what my manual says. It did originally tell me to change every 3k miles but I like to do 7,500 miles with synthetic oil 0W20 Pennzoil.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd say if you did only highway driving, 7500 would be fine, but if not I recommend 5k intervals. The oil gets too dirty at 7500, then you open yourself up to more gunk related issues in the future. 1 or 2 additional oil changes per year won't break the bank

OP
OP
E

Eagledew24

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you for this eye opener because I do drive a lot on the highway but I do more driving on normal and dirt roads. I will change my setting in my car maintenance software to 5K instead of the 7,500.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons