Front tires buckle in reverse. Both in 2001 and 2013

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bobchaphalkar

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had 2001 Tahoe . The front tires seemed to "buckle" when I backed it up in reverse with wheels turned all the way, (both left or right). It was sold. Then I bought a used 2013 LT 5 years ago with 75k miles on it (GM Certified). I installed new 20" snow tires. The 2013 LT did and does the same thing. Now we have only 120K on it. Is this inherent in a Tahoe? I have a 2002 Trailblazer, and it has 180K on it , no issues. Thank you very much!

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most of this is the inherent geometry of the front end, but you might have excessive positive caster which exacerbates it. During normal driving, straights and turns, all that really matters is camber and toe and at least a little positive caster. You don't want any neutral or, far worse, negative caster, though. There are specified caster settings for these rigs, and they're different from left to right to account for the crown of the road, the left side weight bias, etc. If you have too much positive caster, there's relatively little adverse effects. So, a lot of alignment shops focus on the camber and toe and as long as the caster is a degree or two positive and half-assed even left-to-right, they send it. Between camber and caster, one affects the other when adjusting them. The quick way that's "safe" is to start out with a known excessive amount of positive caster and adjust from there. This gives plenty of adjustment room to set the camber while ensuring that you still have positive caster. Once that's done, they adjust the toe, road test and done.

The only real adverse effects to this excessive positive caster is the tires leaning a lot when turning. It's not noticeable during normal driving as the turns are very slight. But, when turning sharply, as when navigating a parking lot, in or out of a driveway, etc., the lean is very pronounced and it increases exponentially with turning angle. The tire is being scrubbed sideways, so there's a lot of pull. It's often accompanied by tire squeal at low speeds, too.

Another trait is when backing up and turning, the wheel feels like it wants to turn more on its own.

Last edited:

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Completely normal for the short wheel base and right turning radius.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had 2001 Tahoe . The front tires seemed to "buckle" when I backed it up in reverse with wheels turned all the way, (both left or right). It was sold. Then I bought a used 2013 LT 5 years ago with 75k miles on it (GM Certified). I installed new 20" snow tires. The 2013 LT did and does the same thing. Now we have only 120K on it. Is this inherent in a Tahoe? I have a 2002 Trailblazer, and it has 180K on it , no issues. Thank you very much!
mine does it too 2008 tahoe ... but i suspect it has to do with the power steering Since I got EPAS (electric rack pinion ) ( which means i can turn the wheel faster then Hydraulic PS) the road might have something to do with it too since it only does it on a specific street

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine does it too 2008 tahoe ... but i suspect it has to do with the power steering Since I got EPAS (electric rack pinion ) ( which means i can turn the wheel faster then Hydraulic PS) the road might have something to do with it too since it only does it on a specific street

*snickering

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Apparently, Bob is just turning his wheel too fast when backing up. He must really be slinging it around if he's making his hydraulic-assist steering match or exceed the speed of the electric assist. Maybe he slaloms in reverse?

the tire is folding in on it self or the bump stop is broken/ missing

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ckylec