Front sway bar disconnected

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LTG515

Reaction score
Is anyone running with their front sway bar disconnected/removed? I wondering for a couple reasons. 1. The bushings on my sway bar end links are so shot, I wonder how much good they’re actually doing if any. 2. If they are useless and driving stability seems fine, why not take the sway bar off and get just a tad more flex out of the front.

Just a thought. Obviously I want to be safe, but was just curious if the truck handles fine with it off also. Let me know.

I do have new 5100s and new bump/jounce stops up front as well if that matters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I can only guess at year/make/model rig you have since no info was offered. The reason the end links are shot is because they are being used by the suspension. Don't kid yourself, replace the end links and the frame bushings at the same time.

We recommend that you put all your rig(s) info in your signature so we all don’t have to guess at year, make, model, engine size, trans, rear axle locker…….etc. While you may have posted pertinent info in your first post, you may forget to do it again and the info is needed by us anyway. Makes it way easier on all members that attempt to help, to have that info right up front. It is also recommended that you take a pic of your RPO codes, on the inside cover of the glove box, and post that image in your signature. All this info will greatly help those that will try to help with a problem.

If there is any other info, like upgrades, mods or recent mechanical/maintenance work done, that would be helpful in any post as well. Too many times a question is asked by the poster and after about 10 responses we find out that the poster has done recent work to attempt to fix the problem or work that was done that SEEMS not related to the problem.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=355886&cc=1380372&jsn=2310

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If this is a truck that see a lot of highway use, tows or is driven by multiple drivers I highly suggest replacing the bushings and reinstalling the sway bar. However on my personal silverado that nobody else has driven in 5 years I removed the sway bars when I over hauled the front suspension. It is very obvious to me that they are gone especially since its lifted with much softer "Flexier" suspension. I notice it mostly on the highway and when turning sharp corners. If I don't drive it for several weeks when I get back in it feels floaty and very boat like.

OP
OP
L

LTG515

Reaction score
If this is a truck that see a lot of highway use, tows or is driven by multiple drivers I highly suggest replacing the bushings and reinstalling the sway bar. However on my personal silverado that nobody else has driven in 5 years I removed the sway bars when I over hauled the front suspension. It is very obvious to me that they are gone especially since its lifted with much softer "Flexier" suspension. I notice it mostly on the highway and when turning sharp corners. If I don't drive it for several weeks when I get back in it feels floaty and very boat like.
Ok good info thanks! Yea it’s my daily, primarily highway driving, but I’m usually the only one that drives it. I don’t tow with it, but that’s not to say I never would if I had to. I have the 5100s with a 1.5” leveling key and I noticed just the slightest of float and softness when switching to that combo but nothing crazy. I’ll probably keep it on but just wanted to check. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I am curious and have a question. Are you saying that with the sway bar attached you feel adverse conditions? If no adverse conditions, then why not replace the link kits and drive the vehicle with the design of the front suspension it was engineered with? If you were building a "purpose built" off road rig I can see the reason for removing the sway bar completely but if driving on asphalt then, IMO, the plus side of the sway bar doing it's job far outweighs the "should be alright" opinion of removing it. Just like a seat belt, you don't need it, till you do.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dont know if there is an aftermarket option for gm trucks but when i used to drive nothing but dodges a quick disconnect style sway bar was fairly popular. the bushings and end links are generally fairly cheap the big deciding factor here is the fact its your daily driver. even occasional regular driving and sometimes going offroaf i would still lean towards repairing the truck correctly. one of the big areas a sway bar can be a big benefit is sharp fast emergency maneuvers. your sway bar will help keep all tires firmly planted and help mitigate body roll. the last thing you will want is to have to veer sharply at 70 mph and you lose control. also with only upgraded shocks and a leveling kit you probably dont need any extra flex or should even have extra flex. before deciding to disconnect your sway bar put your truck through a pretty aggressive flex. if you consider it an aggressive flex and you still have all 4 tires planted then check wheel well clearance and your bump stops. if your touching your bump stops already your probably getting close to clipping something with the tire. if the truck can flex that much with the sway bar whats the point of making it more dangerous during 90% of its driving. i could never understand why some of the dodge guys would remove thiers and keep driving it.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought the biggest damn sway bars I could find and they definitely help with cornering and overall handling. Also, If I need to swerve around something to avoid an accident I want as little swaying as possible. I highly suggest replacing your end links and sway bar bushings while you’re at it.

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I completely agree with all the guys saying keep it! I myself am putting bigger bars on my Tahoe since it's a daily driver and sees highway/towing frequently. Only reason I removed them off my truck is the massive double sheer idler I have is too big to also fit a sway bar and I was tired of killing steering parts.

I have often considered an alternative style sway bar because it really does get sketchy at highway speeds. Plus it helps limit down travel which is a good thing because without limit straps I have enough down travel to pull the CV joint out of place.

MaBs413

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I completely agree with all the guys saying keep it! I myself am putting bigger bars on my Tahoe since it's a daily driver and sees highway/towing frequently. Only reason I removed them off my truck is the massive double sheer idler I have is too big to also fit a sway bar and I was tired of killing steering parts.

I have often considered an alternative style sway bar because it really does get sketchy at highway speeds. Plus it helps limit down travel which is a good thing because without limit straps I have enough down travel to pull the CV joint out of place.

You changed your idler ARM? AND the sway bar was in the way? which idler arm did you install?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Banjomatic