1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Front Hub Replacement - Mileage

Discussion in 'Engine & Drivetrain' started by Dlayne, Jan 11, 2021.

1. Z71Tahoe2004

Z71Tahoe2004 Member

Name:
    Rich
    2004 Tahoe Z71; 4WD; 5.3L Flex

Anyone have advice on replacement brand for front hubs? I've been replacing my front suspension with Moog parts, but have become a little leery of Moog stuff because of the trouble I've had with tears in the ball joint cuff on the upper control arms (happened on both sides). I know rubber isn't an issue on front hubs, but not sure I'm sold on sticking with Moog.

Probably looking to ACDelco / OE unless someone has found an aftermarket brand for hubs they've had good performance from...

2. Denali12

Denali12 Member

Name:
    Brian
    I just had to do both fronts on my 2012. I think they started to go in the 80K range. I highly recommend Timken as they're made in USA

3. wjburken

wjburken Supporting Member

Name:
    Wade
    Might pose this question in the 2000-2006 section. Might get more folks familiar with your year of vehicle.

As for me, I would go with AC Delco OEM or Timken. I personally have also had good luck with Moog for wheel bearings. RockAuto has the AC Delco OEM for $163, Timken for $112 and Moog for $104.

Might check out your pads and rotors since you will be in that far already.

PNW VietVet likes this.
  4. Rocket Man

Rocket Man Build It Better Supporting Member

Name:
    Mark
    You’re posting in the 2015-2020 section however Timken is the go-to consensus for those of us in the 99-06 models.

5. PNW VietVet

PNW VietVet Supporting Member

Name:
    Ron
    Yes, like @Rocket Man and @wjburken said, can't go wrong with AC Delco OE or Timken. They are proven quality.

Z71Tahoe2004 and wjburken like this.
  6. Bounder

Bounder TYF Newbie

Name:
    Robert
    My mechanic replaced one hub with an aftermarket (I told him to use OEM...) and it only lasted 40K miles, and then I replaced both with OEM, using another mechanic.

2007 Tahoe, 240K miles

89Suburban and wjburken like this.
  7. PNW VietVet

PNW VietVet Supporting Member

Name:
    Ron
    Welcome to the forum @Bounder and why did the old mechanic not follow your hub instructions?

8. Dlayne

Dlayne Member

Name:
    Darren
    Thanks again for all the replies. Submitted it to insurance. We will see what happens. If this is just normal, then replacing the other side as someone mentioned is probably a good idea. Replaced with OEM and just put 1,800 miles on it this week for a ski trip and all was well.

FYI, all stock parameters on wheels. Stock 22” summer with factory spec tire size. 20” winter wheels. Correct off-set and tire size. Mostly hwy miles on decent roads.

wjburken likes this.