Front hub assembly replacment difficulty?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep my passenger side hub was a pain. We went thru the same things you did and it wouldn't budge. It was goaded into the knuckle. We got 2 things of mapp gas out and put alot of heat to it and it finally came out but i messed up the knuckle beating on it. When I had to put the drivers side in then it was alot easier and was probably done in 30 mins. The salt here in PA just gets in everything and can turn something simple into a project.
Hello neighbor!

bladenbullet

Reaction score
I havent reviewed the entire thread so i dont know if it has been addressed...the oem part at rock auto may not be a factory part...it is a common misconception...

also...the aftermarket part installed previously may have had a lifetime warranty...you should check with the installer if they did not provide you with a receipt that shows the part description and number...

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey where do you live, near Philly? I live right dead in the middle of the state and about 7 miles from the Mason Dixon line.
King of Prussia exit on the pike. Hope to move out your way or upstate some day. Sick of this rat race bullchit. This area really went to chit. Miss the mountains and lonely roads to get lost on.

Bigshawn

Reaction score
Aww man your definitely in a busy area. Yeah we would ride around at night drinking when we were younger and rarely pass anyone. When Whitetail ski resort opened that's when it started to slowly change.

OP
OP
EddieC

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In replacing the hub on a 4wd, what kind of lube should be put on the axle splines?
Also, the A1 video shows slobbering the outside of the hub where it fits in the bracket with grease but that isn't making sense unless it's just used as an anti-seize compound. Am I messing something?

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having replaced at lease six hub bearing units in my last rig (Nissan Armada w/IFS & IRS) I would remove any/all surface rust/corrosion at the mating surface of the knuckles where the new hub sits, because it makes installation that much easier.

Rust/corrosion causes expansion, and you'd be surprised by how much of a nightmare it is to fit something that has a .0001" concentric ring less to work with.

Add all the anti-seize in the world, because the next guy to work on your truck is likely to be you.

FYI, buy Timken once, or the other stuff again.

OP
OP
EddieC

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, I have to say that there was a lot of fretting over nothing. Chevy did a great job building the '08 Tahoe as the axle spline was well greased as was the bracket surface where the hub sits in. The hub popped right out with 4 wacks with a 3 pound hammer. The grease was actually still yellow. There was just the slightest bit of rust behind the contact points.
Since the oem lasted 97,000 miles I put in another of the same.
Thanks for all the encouragement.

CaptainAmerica1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don’t be afraid to try. Best case you save a bunch of money, worst case you pay someone to fix it… just stop when **** goes south so you don’t make things worse.