Front end Noise Need help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most new rotors don’t have the hole to secure it to the hub anyway, and all that does is hold it temporarily until the wheel is installed. That little screw won’t keep a rotor from turning on the hub when braking anyway.

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
Agree. If I recall correctly, the rotors usually fit snug around the hub like a hub centric wheel and have very little play relative to the lugs.

Yea this^ the hub should center the rotor. You may be able to "twist" the rotor slightly for/aft but there should be "0" play up/down side to side. the wheel lug nuts will not center the rotor and if your description is accurate the wheel assembly will be completely out of balance. get the right rotors.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most new rotors don’t have the hole to secure it to the hub anyway, and all that does is hold it temporarily until the wheel is installed. That little screw won’t keep a rotor from turning on the hub when braking anyway.

I have only had powerslot rotors, they do have the provisions for the screw.
I'll put the new powerslot rotors on but, I will be looking at a different brand rotors, especially if they have as much play in them.

Yea this^ the hub should center the rotor. You may be able to "twist" the rotor slightly for/aft but there should be "0" play up/down side to side. the wheel lug nuts will not center the rotor and if your description is accurate the wheel assembly will be completely out of balance. get the right rotors.

I may have worded it wrong. I can twist them. If I put pressure on the rotor holding it tight against the hub and twist it moves and moves more than I think it should. I don't remember having any play in my original set or any other set from my previous 2dr or any other vehicle for that matter.

I just wish I had more time in a day, its been a sh*tty few weeks and time has not been on my side.

Jarhead3121

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ugh.. so mine is now doing this. 2013 Yukon XL with 116K miles. So far I've determine that the drivers side hub is bad (wiggles at 12 and 6 and squeaks), and my sway bar has cool little handles that are not connected to the frame at all. :(
Unfortunately, my garage is occupied and it's freaking cold outside. So.. any guesstimates on what someone would charge to replace both hubs (may as well do the pair) and the sway bar links?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ugh.. so mine is now doing this. 2013 Yukon XL with 116K miles. So far I've determine that the drivers side hub is bad (wiggles at 12 and 6 and squeaks), and my sway bar has cool little handles that are not connected to the frame at all. :(
Unfortunately, my garage is occupied and it's freaking cold outside. So.. any guesstimates on what someone would charge to replace both hubs (may as well do the pair) and the sway bar links?
It depends on where you’re located and what shops charge per hour there. Best bet is to call a few local shops and get an estimate. I would insist on Timken hubs, they’re the best by consensus. You might be able to buy the parts and have a shop install them but you’ll need to ask.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can definitely confirm the front end noise was the passenger caliper. So far I haven't heard anything since freeing it up.
Has anyone ever rebuilt one? Or, would it be better to just get a new one?

I'd get a second opinion before you do anything. It could be a ball joint and not your hub.

I'd do what Rocket Man suggested, call around and get some ideas of the cost/rate of the shop.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can definitely confirm the front end noise was the passenger caliper. So far I haven't heard anything since freeing it up.
Has anyone ever rebuilt one? Or, would it be better to just get a new one?

I lied

Went for a ride today with my daughter and she said it sounded like it was under the rear drivers side passenger area.
EDIT This is killin me because I don't even know if it is coming from the front end. I'm having a hard time trying to pinpoint where the noise is coming from.

I'm stumped

Last edited:

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cant stand it, sick of pulling wheels off jacking up the rear end crawling around under there with the same results

I FINALLY broke down and brought it to the only shop I feel comfortable with.

End result = Its the damn u-joints.

Oh yeah, looks like my rear main is leaking too :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons

Latest posts