Front end Noise Need help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still dealing with this noise and its really throwing me for a loop because it seems to have gotten worse at lower speeds.

After a few rough weeks at work I finally had a little time to check things out again.

Jacked it up so both front wheels were off the ground.
There was no play in either direction so I can rule out ball joints or tie rods.
Tried to free spin both wheels with them off the ground and again drivers spun relatively freely and the passenger did not. The passenger side was dragging the entire time while the drivers hit the pads once a revolution. I tried taking videos but seems as though I am not capable doing so so just take a minute and imagine the wheels dragging on the brakes :)
One thing I did notice is the rotors move on the hub. Now I know without them bolting down they are free floating but what gets me is the amount of play between the stud and hole in the rotor. Its far from a tight tolerance and though I know it gets tightened down once the wheel and lugs are installed. Its not a good feeling seeing how much play is there.
Ok onto the calipers and pads. Drivers side has been wearing evenly and there is quite a bit of pad left, they look almost new compared to my new pads.
The passenger side on the other hand, the inner pad looks great while the outer pad is almost to the wear strip. I took it off and check the sliders, they are both free and easy to move. Then checked the pistons. The lower piston was very easy to press in with a clamp but, the upper one was not. It actually took a little force to pop it free. This was the caliper I replaced because my original was sticking. Bought it at Advanced.

Conclusion, I am going to get new front calipers and probably put my new rotors and pads on at the same time.

Question = What calipers should I get? I'm thinking OE GM.

I did check to see if my rotors were warped but they seemed to be flat and square. After I burn through the new set of rotors I will start getting a different brand.

Sorry for the long drawn out post
Have a good day
with a couple of exceptions, all the calipers on the market are remanufactured oem calipers, I think rabesto's makes 1 model of caliper that is there own design new from scratch and of course the big brake kits are all there own designs. 99% of the calipers you see even listed as a different "brand" are nothing but rebuilt oem calipers. I would get some from the local auto parts store that offers a lifetime warranty that way if something like this happens again you can just swap them out for free.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought AC Delco reman calipers and they worked great. Amazon usually has good prices on them.

Would they have these at any local parts store?

with a couple of exceptions, all the calipers on the market are remanufactured oem calipers, I think rabesto's makes 1 model of caliper that is there own design new from scratch and of course the big brake kits are all there own designs. 99% of the calipers you see even listed as a different "brand" are nothing but rebuilt oem calipers. I would get some from the local auto parts store that offers a lifetime warranty that way if something like this happens again you can just swap them out for free.

I apologize, I am pretty sure I asked the caliper question before but, I do appreciate the info.

The passenger was from Advanced, that will go back. I am just not to thrilled about replace it with the same kind. I'll swing by there this week and see what they have available.

Any thoughts or opinions on the rotor and hub play?

I think I'm going to order new lug nuts too, I have never taken my wheels off and put them on like I do with my 07. I noticed the socket would not slide all the way on some of them to.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I apologize, I am pretty sure I asked the caliper question before but, I do appreciate the info.

The passenger was from Advanced, that will go back. I am just not to thrilled about replace it with the same kind. I'll swing by there this week and see what they have available.

I think I'm going to order new lug nuts too, I have never taken my wheels off and put them on like I do with my 07. I noticed the socket would not slide all the way on some of them to.
I know my local Oreillys has new and reman AC Delco.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score

the hub shouldn't move other than with the steering wheel if it does then it is bad

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might need to give them a day to get them from a warehouse so probably give them a call.
Definitely calling before, they aren't the swiftest in my neck of the woods and it may take more than a day to get here.
the hub shouldn't move other than with the steering wheel if it does then it is bad
The hub doesn't move. The rotor moves on the hub, the holes on the rotor are a decent amount bigger than the stud.
I know once everything is installed and tightened down it wont go anywhere but its kind of unsettling the amount of play. Maybe its normal and I never noticed it before because I had the drilled out hubs so the rotor would bolt in place.
One thing I did notice is the drivers hub back cap had some grease leak out of it. I'll have to get a picture of that. I don't think its anything to worry about but, it did catch my eye.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definitely calling before, they aren't the swiftest in my neck of the woods and it may take more than a day to get here.

The hub doesn't move. The rotor moves on the hub, the holes on the rotor are a decent amount bigger than the stud.
I know once everything is installed and tightened down it wont go anywhere but its kind of unsettling the amount of play. Maybe its normal and I never noticed it before because I had the drilled out hubs so the rotor would bolt in place.
One thing I did notice is the drivers hub back cap had some grease leak out of it. I'll have to get a picture of that. I don't think its anything to worry about but, it did catch my eye.
that doesn't sound right, try some new rotors then, on my 2012 the fit is snug over the lug studs and it is held in place with a philips head screw, you have too use a impact tool to crack it loose when changing rotors

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
that doesn't sound right, try some new rotors then, on my 2012 the fit is snug over the lug studs and it is held in place with a philips head screw, you have too use a impact tool to crack it loose when changing rotors

Agree. If I recall correctly, the rotors usually fit snug around the hub like a hub centric wheel and have very little play relative to the lugs.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I felt the same way. The video I tried to take showed it pretty clear.
That's how it was with my old hubs. But the new hubs do not have the threaded hole.
I have a new set of PowerStop rotors, same as what's on there now. I'll have to test fit them. I'll try to get out there Tuesday.

Agree. If I recall correctly, the rotors usually fit snug around the hub like a hub centric wheel and have very little play relative to the lugs.

I figured the same thing and was pretty surprised at the amount of play.
I'll try to get a video of it when I test fit the new rotors, as long as the new rotors don't fit the same way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jkavros