Front end Noise Need help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That flat head machine screw just holds it in place while you get the wheel mounted. It isn’t necessary if you ask me.

Thanks
I'm going to use them.
My 2dr didn't have them either, just tossed the rotors on and it was all good.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know what sucks?
When you get all your sh*t together every disassembled and find out you have the wrong hubs.

Ordered part# 515097 hubs and they do not have the tapped hubs to secure the rotor. It is pictured with the it tapped but the ones I got were not tapped. It is the correct bolt pattern.

Can someone please verify if the tapped hub is necessary?

Is this more of a convenience thing to hold them in place?

Can I use them?
Not needed. I didn’t even put screws back into mine on my 02 when I installed new hubs. The old ones were a bit rusted and I had to drill them out, don’t want to do that again. It’s just there to hold it in place while you put the wheel on, like has been stated. The wheel holds them in place securely, they can’t go anywhere.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The tap for the screw is put there at the factory to hold rotors in place while on the assembly line. After that they are not really needed. Use them. You will be fine. Now, if the studs holes were too large then I would worry because of the shifting on the hub face when braking but if the holes look the same size as what came off, you are good to go.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not needed. I didn’t even put screws back into mine on my 02 when I installed new hubs. The old ones were a bit rusted and I had to drill them out, don’t want to do that again. It’s just there to hold it in place while you put the wheel on, like has been stated. The wheel holds them in place securely, they can’t go anywhere.

I’ve had to drill out more than I’ve been able to break loose.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
We used to use an impact screwdriver to loosen them to try and keep from having to drill them out. When I ran the shop we always told the owner of the vehicle that we will not be putting the screws back in and the reason they were there to begin with. Had one guy say they were important to keep the rotor in one place on the hub. Then I showed him the diameter of the screw thread and he then realized that it was not big enough to keep the rotor from shifting on the hub, if the rotor wanted to, and that the wheel torque spec will keep the rotor in place during the pressures of braking. Saw lots of the same type of screws on the European and *** vehicles.

Reaction score
Yup, just there to help hold in place on the assembly line.

I've seen on other vehicles use a thin internal star washer over one of the wheel lugs to hold the rotor against the hub for assembly. You usually have to break/snap them off when doing a brake job. Never replaced them

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup, just there to help hold in place on the assembly line.

I've seen on other vehicles use a thin internal star washer over one of the wheel lugs to hold the rotor against the hub for assembly. You usually have to break/snap them off when doing a brake job. Never replaced them

My ‘04 Silverado had that star washer

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We used to use an impact screwdriver to loosen them to try and keep from having to drill them out. When I ran the shop we always told the owner of the vehicle that we will not be putting the screws back in and the reason they were there to begin with. Had one guy say they were important to keep the rotor in one place on the hub. Then I showed him the diameter of the screw thread and he then realized that it was not big enough to keep the rotor from shifting on the hub, if the rotor wanted to, and that the wheel torque spec will keep the rotor in place during the pressures of braking. Saw lots of the same type of screws on the European and *** vehicles.
Tried it, stripped the head.

upload_2019-9-22_10-43-49.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rs401