Front end Noise Need help!

Discussion in 'Engine & Drivetrain' started by Isaiah13, Aug 10, 2019.

1. Isaiah13

Isaiah13 TYF Newbie

Name:
    Isaiah
    I have a 08 Tahoe lt, 4x4 has 116k miles on it. I am having a front end noise and grinding noise. So when I drive it and get to about 30mph there is a real noticeable squeaking noise coming from the front end, if you turn the wheel just a little to the right it goes away, turn it the left and hold the wheel straight noise comes back, after you drive it a little ways and slow back down around 20-30mph and turn left it makes a very very loud grinding noise like something is trying to lock up like a metal metal grinding. Go to a higher speed it goes back to the squeaking noise. It has brand new universal joints in it so I know it’s not that. I was thinking a wheel bearing or cv joint possibly. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

2. Doubeleive

Doubeleive Supporting Member

Name:
    Wes
    jack up the front wheels off the ground, give them a spin and listen for noise, also grab the wheel at 12 & 6 and see if it wiggles at all it should be tight, 3 & 9 will have a little play because of the steering. that should tell you if it is wheel bearing/s or not, if that is not the issue then take a close look at your brake pads and maybe even the front axles if it is a 4wd

thompsoj22 likes this.
  3. thompsoj22

thompsoj22 Supporting Member

california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
    Name:
    john
    check for rocks/debris between backing plate and brake rotor. have you been offroad,gravel road,mud recently?

4. Isaiah13

Isaiah13 TYF Newbie

Name:
    Isaiah
    I drive in gravel everyday not off road much though. I will check that and see.

5. Isaiah13

Isaiah13 TYF Newbie

Name:
    Isaiah
    found the problem it’s a drivers side wheel bearing and hub, has all kinds of play when you check it at 12 and 6

thompsoj22 and Doubeleive like this.
  6. swathdiver

swathdiver Full Access Member

Name:
    James
    That's what I was thinkin'. Timken SP500301.

35mm socket for the spindle nut, supposed to replace it but many don't. Torque to 177 ft lbs.

Can't remember the others but I did make a post or two about all the socket and wrench sizes and torque specs to replace them.

7. George Owens

George Owens Member

Name:
    George
    Better change them both, I did one side and the other got noticeably loud and ugly sounding

Rocket Man likes this.
  8. Rocket Man

Rocket Man Build It Better Supporting Member

Name:
    Mark
    I agree. If ones that far gone the other won’t be far behind. Plus you’ll have all the tools out.

9. 992dr

992dr Full Access Member

Name:
    Sam
    I recently noticed a terrible noise from my front end as well. Dropped off my wife and she told me it sounded pretty bad even when I was driving away.
    I got home and jacked it up, didn't have any play from 12 and 6 on either side. Though I did spin them, drivers spun freely while the passenger side only made a couple of revolutions going very slow.

Sound like a hub/bearing issue?

Also, are the hubs the same from 2wd to 4wd?

Thanks

10. Rocket Man

Rocket Man Build It Better Supporting Member

Name:
    Mark
    Possibly brakes grabbing as well.

992dr and Doubeleive like this.