Front end binding when accelerating in 4wd hi or Lo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Richard Payan

Richard Payan

Reaction score
Alright you drove without cv halfshafts (that aint good since the hubs are torqued to around 180ft lbs when shafts are installed for a reason, to load the hubs by design). Removing halfshafts and no problems tells me output of Tcase is free to turn and so is the front driveshaft along with the front diff. As Musdport96 mentioned, this test does not remove the chance that the front diff is not the same ratio as the rear for whatever reason OR you have one or more halfshafts bad. There is a remote possibility that your ball joints are so hosed that they are causing this but they would have to be pretty bad. I would expect major tire wear on inside edge and/or outer edge of tread if that is the case.

Also check your halfshaft for a ABS target ring toward the axle nut end of the halfshat that could be binding against the lower ball joint. Some universal axles came with this ring but the ring is NOT needed for our chassis.
Yes i removed the half shafts and no problems at all. And question is the front shaft suppposed to turn when in 2wd? I noticed that when in 2wd it was still turning, dont know if that is normal. And my ball joints arent bad at least i dont think so i put aftermarket upper control arms. Maybe that can be the issue i dont know though. Im gonne check the axle nut end too that could be bad too.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes i removed the half shafts and no problems at all. And question is the front shaft suppposed to turn when in 2wd? I noticed that when in 2wd it was still turning, dont know if that is normal. And my ball joints arent bad at least i dont think so i put aftermarket upper control arms. Maybe that can be the issue i dont know though. Im gonne check the axle nut end too that could be bad too.
You will typically see the front shaft turn while in 2wd BUT it should not be turning under any major torque. You should be able to stop it by hand. Get all 4 wheels off the ground and while in 4wd let it idle in gear. Grab front driveshaft(with gloves on) or use towel or belt and verify if it is turning under torque. If it is then you are either in 4wd and your light indicators are wrong and/or you have sticking auto4wd clutches which can lead to damage in it the clutch basket. If front driveshaft stops turning immediately then you are good to go in the Tcase.

OP
OP
Richard Payan

Richard Payan

Reaction score
You will typically see the front shaft turn while in 2wd BUT it should not be turning under any major torque. You should be able to stop it by hand. Get all 4 wheels off the ground and while in 4wd let it idle in gear. Grab front driveshaft(with gloves on) or use towel or belt and verify if it is turning under torque. If it is then you are either in 4wd and your light indicators are wrong and/or you have sticking auto4wd clutches which can lead to damage in it the clutch basket. If front driveshaft stops turning immediately then you are good to go in the Tcase.
So if it stops turning in 2wd the Tcase is good?

OP
OP
Richard Payan

Richard Payan

Reaction score
It might turn but it should NOT turn under torque which would mean your clutches for auto4wd are stuck together for whatever reason or your Tcase is truly in 4wd when it should be in 2wd according to the dash indicator.
Ok got i will try that. And something i noticed is when i put it in reverse its drives fine no binding or nothing

OP
OP
Richard Payan

Richard Payan

Reaction score
It might turn but it should NOT turn under torque which would mean your clutches for auto4wd are stuck together for whatever reason or your Tcase is truly in 4wd when it should be in 2wd according to the dash indicator.
Hey guys so i think i finally figured out my issue! So i while back i “upgraded” to better upper control arms. So im thinking after time the bushings got softer and weaker and when i put it in 4wd the wheels do what i have been talking about. Once i come to a stop and put it back in 2wd the upper control arm just goes back into its normal position. So i ended up putting one if the oem ones for now didnt have time anymore. And it actually drive way better. Next is the right side. I really apreciate everybodys time for trying to help!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tttterrrr