Front Driverside Ball Joint HELP!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fireman297

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well last week my wife brought to my attention that there was a strange noise coming from the front end. I took the vehicle for a drive and was pretty sure the ball joint was shot. I took it to the dealership today and they confirmed that the ball joint is bad. They also informed me that because I had lowered the vehicle they would not cover it under warranty. They then broke the bad news that it would cost about $900 with an alignment. So here is my question?? Is there anybody up here in the Seattle area that knows how to replace this and could help a brother out? I have some mechanical knowledge, but not enough to tackle this by myself. I am a great helper/learner and would supply the parts and the beer and pizza, if someone would be willing to help me out. If there is anyone willing to assist me it would be greatly appreciated. I would also be a huge hero to my wife, because funds are very tight with taxes coming up. Thanks for reading, and any if there is a generous soul out there I would be forever indebted.

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
900 wow for one ball joint they are high take it to anoter place or two to get a better estimate

sent from my vortec powered droid 4 using tapatalk

jdpber

GOLD MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Robbery. They nice Moog joints are about $40 each then it's an hour labor for someone knowing what they are doing. Tops I would pay someone $200-300 and that's high IMO. But 900 is highway robbery

---------- Post added at 07:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:06 AM ----------

Also average alignment is $45-150 depending on vehicle.

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure if that can be done in an hour. Wouldn't that require the spindle to be removed to have the new BJ pressed in? $900 is grossly overpriced. Sounds like they just said that to get you to go away.

I'd start checking local shops. They are easier to negotiate.

Alignments down here for a lowered truck, or lifted, are $89 all day long.

jdpber

GOLD MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well took me 4 hours to do 4 ball joints, all the front bushings and tie rod ends. So I was slightly guesstimating. Yes the spindle has to be removed. But if it's just one side and one joint. I figure the hour area-2 but deff not $900. Any Jo blow mechanic can do a BJ for you...

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
Which BJ is it?
Gm made there control arm designs in a way that it is easy and cheap to just replace the whole control arm that is holding the bad ball joint. The lower arms are more expensive than the uppers, but $160 or less (New) if you look around. Installing the arms is also pretty easy too.

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
Dealer quoted $444 to replace lower joints only. There is a writeup how to here somewhere. It really isnt bad to do. you can rent the tools needed to do the job yourself. It will take you no more than one hour per side if lower joints only.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17