Front door speakers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff Groves

Retired Demo Expert. I don't need to run anymore!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What system do you have? Stock, Premium, or Lux?
Front doors have 2 speakers. A Dual thing and a tweeter.
Rear doors just have one speaker.
So the 2 front speakers would be 4 ohm wired in series to get 8 ohm.
Right?
The rear most speakers are wired so there is no left or right balance and run 4 ohms each to get 8 ohms.

OP
OP
R

Ricard

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Right?
The rear most speakers are wired so there is no left or right balance and run 4 ohms each to get 8 ohms.
Factory, not Bose system. I have 4 ohm Rockford fosgate R165-S components speaker up front. Factory 8 ohm 2way speakers on the rear door. Looking to replace the rear door speakers with aftermarket one. And I couldn’t find any 8 ohm speakers for my truck at crutchfield

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have never seen a gm vehicle since the late 70's that had any speakers wired in parallel front/rear/ or otherwise, they have all had 4 channel (or more), that is why your deck has front left, front right, rear left, rear right adjustment. They just configure the system so it sounds good enough and doesn't cost them a lot of money, the front speakers are designed to be louder than the rear which would make sense why the front speakers have a lower ohm than the rear, the lower the ohm's the more power.

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right?

I have never seen a gm vehicle since the late 70's that had any speakers wired in parallel front/rear/ or otherwise, they have all had 4 channel (or more), that is why your deck has front left, front right, rear left, rear right adjustment. They just configure the system so it sounds good enough and doesn't cost them a lot of money, the front speakers are designed to be louder than the rear which would make sense why the front speakers have a lower ohm than the rear, the lower the ohm's the more power.

Are you saying then, that the head unit is 8 ohms per channel?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you saying then, that the head unit is 8 ohms per channel?
no, I don't know what the ohm's are it may be stated somewhere in some technical data, some years use a external amp (not bose), some have multi-channel bose amps, and there may be some that do use a external amp at all. If you are just replacing door speakers you will have a hard time getting the same sound from replacement speakers unless they are the same ohm and same design. replacing a dual cone speaker with something other than a another dual cone speaker changes the sound, generally the only way to improve on a good dual cone speaker is to replace it with a component set.

Jeff Groves

Retired Demo Expert. I don't need to run anymore!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Easiest way to know what came in yours is to check the RPO codes.
That does not mean what is in there now if it was changed!
Only pulling the HU will tell you exactly what you are working with.

As a side note I have read that the Sub Woofer is 2 ohm.
I'll have to pull the blown speaker from the stock Premium box to check that.
I replaced it with a Bose Box. I'm real happy with that!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
labans